KLR? XT? GS? DR? Which bike must i get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoffies82

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I've been threatening to buy a Dual Sport for years, and now I beleive i can actually afford one, but a pre-owned one.  I am a teacher i currently have a long commute, which I will be using the bike for, and ALL those school holidays might come in handy ;D 

I reckon i can afford about R35 000 at this stage.

My mind has been sort of set on a KLR, but mainly because i believe it is good value for money.  It seems some people in this forum aren't to keen on KLR's and I'm not sure whether it is just a healthy rivalry thing or if they are genuinely k@k.  I've been a bit of a Kawasaki fan and haven't heard too much negatives about the KLR, except for the doohickey business...  Also heard they are slightly underpowered when compared to some of the bikes in their class, but I can't give a proper comparison as the only other dual sport i've ever ridden was a KTM640.
For R35K it looks like i can pick up a '07 or '08 model with mileage around 40-60K.

The XT660 is another bike which has caught my fancy.  I love the way it looks and I believe in Yamaha, since an old SR has been my trusty steed for many, many years.  I don't know too much about the bike though...
Looks like for R35K I can find a '05 model with +50K km's on, so slightly older htan the KLR, but not neccesarily worse...

BMW's are still a little bit out of my budget and the older ones I don't like that much.  The only bikes I've been finding are Yellow (no thanks) and red.  Personally I also asociate the GS650 family with yupppie's (sorry, I know I'm probably offending close to half the dogs here  :mwink: ) I'm a little worried though what might happen with the GS after 70K and when i potentially own and drive it back and forth to school every day.

The DR has never really caught my fancy that much.  I remember that years ago i though it had a tiny fuel tank, which was the main reason why I stopped considering it.

Can i get some proper Dog opinions here please...

I'm only a teacher, so I don't exactly have tens of thousands to throw around here and this is more like making a dream come true.

If you had to spend R35K, what would you buy?

Thanks dogs,

Stoffies