KLR650 (Fred's) engine rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msomi

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
After 4 long yrs of spending every weekend, most week nights, & every last cent I had on a DIY renovation from hell, I decided enough was enough & it was time to replace my beloved XR600 "Ganda Ganda" (tractor) that I was forced to sell a good few years ago.

Eventually managed to scrape together enough to get myself something with a "happy button" (dodgy RT foot) picked up my 2008 KLR 650 about a month ago, its a non runner. The gearbox exploded.

I am slowly getting all the bits together, Thanks to Le Cap, the mans a mechanical genius!!

This one is hopefully going to be a keeper, so I have decided to do a complete engine rebuild whilst I'm at it, to rectify all the problems at hand & eliminate all the other common issues that plague the KLR's. Figure it will probably end up costing me the same, if not more then just buying a runner. BUT at least I know that the motor is new, & I'll get to know the motor inside out at the same time.

Will try post as many pics as possible as I go, but I tend to get excited & forget to take whilst I'm working. 

The pic that the original owner sent me

Attachments

• New Image.JPG
    New Image.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 149