Knee down "Rossi" style in dry riverbed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camel

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
We are a bunch of 7 okes preparing for an Africa trip in June 10000km's. Part of our preparation so far was to add all the xtras to the bikes ie top boxes, panniers, head light protectors, tank bags, tools etc. We did a tyre repair and general maintenance course and an offroad course, thanks Adventurer and Popey1, so far what you have tought us were excellent.

We also planned to do 2 shakedown trips to put all above to practise and get bike fit.

1st trip 4,5 and 6 March. Adventurer and Popey1 took us from Zambezi BMW via Groblersdal, Roosenekal, Lydenburg, Long Tom to Whiteriver on day 1 with a short dirt road section. The Long Tom pass was lovely and although hot, overall a good day and we did some good bonding between us and learning each others riding style, likes and dislikes.

On day 2 we went to Sabie via dirt roads, and only joint the tar road as the twisties started before Sabie, went through the Strydom tunnel to Hoedspruit, Phalaborwa, dirt roads inbetween until Popey1 took us to a dry riverbed about 40 km's from Letsitele. The river was about 50 metres wide, dry with a few water holes on the side.
The exercise was simple - get the front wheel to float as quickly as possible and get to 3rd gear, stand up, look up and go for about 500 to 600 metres. He demonstrated, with a pillion nogal, and it looked easy and simple.
Our daredevil friend eagerly started his 800GS and pulled off only to loose it 10 metres down loosing the left pannier. He was quickly helped up again and off he went, doing s's like an anaconda, From where we stood, he swerved from left to right getting knee downs in the sand, he missed a water hole, only to decide his bike is dirty and still doing s's Rossi style, hit a second water hole.
I must tell you, the 800gs has very good road holding, he made it, needless to say, we all cried with laughter, it was an awesome sight. I think our eyes were bigger than his.
4 of us completed the excersise whilst Adventurer  and Popey1 and Mr D played for a while.

On the way to Letsitele Mr D got a front puncture on his Dakar ( on tar at 120kmph) and luckily stayed calm and stopped safely. After the tyre was fixed we went to Letsitele for cold ones.

Day 3, we worked our way back via Polokwane, Makopane ..... and hit some dirt roads again up to Brits. Overall distance for me 1600km's for the 3 days, about 350km's dirt. No serious incidents. Thanks guys, thanks Adventurer and Popey1, it was a good weekend and I can not wait for the next shakedown to Baviaans at the end of April. I do not have pics but maybe Adventurer can post some here.