Kruger Park - where to and accomodation recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpat

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I'm planning an impromtu drive up to Kruger between Christmas and New year for a bit of 4x4 safari and game viewing. Funnily enough, I have lived here over 10 years, but somehow never explored Kruger properly, prefering Okavango delta instead.

I know Xmas holidays are probably the worst time to go as the place is going to be packed and expensive. To mitigate that at least to some extent, I would like to head up north all the way to Pafuri and surrounds (i.e. northern part of Kruger, moving south gradually), which I believe may be a bit less crowded (please tell me if I'm delusional). I don't like to book anything upfront as I have no clue where to go, and prefer to rock up in the camp/lodge instead or at most call during the day to see availability. On the other hand, I'm on my own and very flexible - I will carry tent to camp if necessary, but have no problem to stay for a night or 3 in a luxury lodge at considerable cost (it's Christmas) if there is no other alternative. I  do prefer if there is a restaurant available, but will carry some bully beef and stuff to survive if I may come short.

Can people who know the area recommend where to go (best scenery and game viewing) in that area and outline my accommodation options?

Thanks a mil.