KTM 640, 650 GS or XT600 wanted... need advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthToneBoy

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi Guys
I'm a newbie and would like to get your advice on what would be the right bike for me as well as find out if any members are selling the bikes I'm looking at?

I contacted Essbee and was about to fly to Durban to buy his KTM 640 Adventure, but was sadly taken out by a guy, even more desperate than me sounds like, who bought the bike this weekend.
Now I'm looking at getting either a KTM 640 Adventure (very rare it seems), BMW F650 GS or XT600e or maybe even a KLR 650. I was going to spend R32k on Essbee's bike so I'm looking for something in that price range.
I can get a 2002 XT600e for R24k and have money left for modifications or otherwise a 2001 BMW F650GS for R35k.What do you think?
I'd like to get a bike that I can use for commuting but also to get into some On-Road Off road touring in SA and Africa eventually.
Also I'm looking for a bike that is simple enough for myself (not a mechanic at all) to be able to do basic maintenance and roadside repairs on...And the cost of parts that will not make me bankrupt before I do my first big trip and spoil the spirit of Adventure riding for me...
Any advice will be appreciated,thanks.