KTM 990 Niggles!! Any one experiencing this problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katools 11

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Good day Dogs,

Me and the misses traveled to Tabazimbi for an ice cream :ricky:.

We left Bela Bela at 10 AM yesterday and went to Nylstroom (Modimolle) for a breakfast.

We left Nylstroom round 11 AM and as you do we decided to cruise the loooong way back to Pretoria.

We traveled via Vaalwater to Tabazimbi were we enjoyed a much deserved Ice cream :dousing:.

I filled the tank up in Tabazimbi at the Caltex Garage with 95. I realized that the fuel there was 12.71/ltr instead of the 12.01/ltr we payed in Brits.

As we left Tabazimbi it must have been like 65 degrees outside or so it felt.

No as for my problem the following happened:

About 85 km from Tabazimbi I was accelerating to pass a Truck, cruising the whole distance at an average of 120 - 130 km/h I did not need to change gears to accelerate. As the bike reached 5500RPM it unexpectedly chocked like it was misfiring. This only happened for a split second and i tried to convince myself that it might have been a gush of wind as i passed the truck. I decelerated after passing the truck and then accelerated again just to ease my mind and all was ok :-\.

About 20 km after that we stopped for a smoke and a well deserved cool-down from the extreme heat as we pored the last ltr of drinking water all over ourselves.

After about 25 min we decided to get moving again. We had 35 km or so to go before we reach Brits.
As we reached Brits I experienced the same misfiring as before, only this time it was not just once.... it happened all the way from 1500 RPM upwards, every gear??

We need to get to the closest garage. What i found very strange was that the bike idled perfectly fine, it did not smoke and when in neutral it did not misfire at all????? This eliminated the option that it was a  Spark Plug issue.

At the garage I let the bike cool down before we attempted looking at anything so we bought a cooldrink and chilled a bit.
As we were waiting i made a few phone calls to determine what might be the problem, a very good friend of mine reconed that it might be the wrong fuel added in Tabazimbi or that it might have been a dirty poor quality of fuel, it did make some sense as it hit me that we payed so much more for the fuel there?? But for the life of me i was sure that we filled up with the 95 as i always do.

We added new petrol at the garage were we "broke down" to see if it might mix the poor quality fuel and stop the misfire.
30 min after we stopped at the garage and after the new fuel we decided to test it and we got our gear on ready to leave, straight away the misfire was gone and we traveled 60 km all the way home without any further issues???

All and all we traveled 447 km for the day.

I did 45 km this morning to see if all is well and again no problems!

My concern here is if it was not the bad fuel as i hope it is!!!! Could it be something more serious? I checked the temperature gauge all the way and there was no problem with overheating, could it be that it was maybe to hot for the bike outside and therefore it experienced problems with the firing??

If anyone else have experienced something similar or might have advise for me to set my mind at ease, please feel free to share it with us.

Thank you kindly