KTM 990- Puncture again ....Aaaag No Man ....Pirelli

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTM Chris

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So after a recent canal trip spoilt by a front wheel puncture - I upgraded the front  Pirelli tyre to the Metzeler Karoo 3 with a UHT tube. Great tyre.

Sunday afternoon I did a pre-Monday Work ride through Northern farm just to get some air in my Lungs - mostly sand tracks with some middle- mannetjie sections / rocks - great view as the sun was setting.

As I stopped to take this photo I heard a nice"pop" and I realized I was in trouble - true to form all my repair kit etc was at home- I rode like hell home to fourways - only to be riding on a flat for the last 3km home.

So an hour of riding and one puncture - Rear tyre - on Pirelli.

This evening I changed the tube to UHD and would like to advise the following

- It took me a hour to do the rear tyre
- I used bead lube to get the tyre back on - very good advice from Toors
- I used a small compressor - the one I carry - to seat the tyre (3.25bar) I could not have done this with any other pump - in the bush (ie CO2 cylinders)
- used 2 big tyre levers and 2 small
- I needed a tape to measure the chain tension 35-40 mm
- I used a pressure gauge to reset the pressure to 2.4 bar - the compressor is not accurate at all.

My Advice

- always ride with the right tools and repair kit - if I was any further away it would have been a busy Sunday Night.
- Know how to change a tyre before a long trip.
- ride with these tools

Im looking for a Metzeler Karoo 3 for the rear - Pirelli are lekker road tyres - that's all.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 203