KTM 990s Gearing Advice, et al, please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I have a KTM 990S, Jan 2008 first registered, 25000km on the clock.  Current sprocket is 17/42.  Tyres, Scorpions with about 2000km usage.  I have recently bought it and am very happy with it.  Have some areas requiring improvement though. Some  issues can apparently (according to advriders orange crush) be fixed by dropping to a 16 front sprocket.  I would like your experience or thoughts.

Issues:
1. Two up and loaded bike sometimes overheats in slow technical, mud etc. – probably overrevving as I slip the clutch?
2. Long steep downhill, loaded 2 up e.g. Baviaans S to N, and EiselBank to Wupperthal, Back brake overheats, becoming useless. In the wet slippery downhills I don’t like too much front brake – 1st gear provides insufficient braking – too tall methinks?

Will a 16/42 make any difference or will I need a 16/44 or 16/45?  I know top speed will drop, as long as not below 180km/hr.  What are your experiences with sprocket ratios?  Will the borderline jerky throttle control be worsened or improved by a 16/45 combination and will I need a new CAM with the changed sprockets?

I know speed will also help above issues but when the wife and a full Bottle of Jack are on the bike you don’t want to drop it ..... and break the Jack … because then she will kill me!

Non Gear related queries:
3. At 160 km/hr the bike starts getting a weaving motion – playing with stiffer suspension to try resolve – steering dampner may help, but I want to treat the cause ??
4. At 70-80km/hr on SOME road surfaces I get a terrible feeling like the tyre is flat, this has me puzzled and paranoid – funny once the Jack is finished I don’t  notice it. 

Am wondering if point 3 & 4 aren’t tyre related to the Scorpions or the 21 inch front wheel?