KTM Clutch issue - dragging and then no disengagement!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahbaby

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the clutch has a double action, with this mean that when I stand a the robot and pull away it sometimes takes 2mm of the handlebar, and when I then change to second it takes where it should. It also displayed a clutch drag with varying intensity.
Firstly I thought it was the clutch jet not supplying enough oil at low rpm, this I cleaned, but no improvement. I then began to think that the oil was too thick or spent, but it was relatively new oil with the correct grade, non the less I bought 5W50, canted off a litre and added it - slight improvement but still took low.

I continued to ride for about three days and this Saturday I started the bike and let it warm up a bit, reversed it out the garage put it in gear, let out the clutch, and the was no disengagement!!! Completely opposite to the issues I have been experiencing! You could go through all the gears and the bike would stand perfectly still.

I took the clutch cover off to discover that the nut that secures the clutch basket was completely loose, after applying locknut and re-tightening all is well again.