KZN Dual-Sport Poker run in aid of four-legged Wild Dogs ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Hi KZNers,

At the Wild Dog breakfast and presentation in Balito yesterday we threw a few ideas around about doing a fund-raising ride for the four-legged Wild Dogs.

Chicco and his buddies from up North were very keen on a ride in the areas where the dogs are up towards the Hluhluwe/Mfolozi/Ndumo areas, and I think that is a great idea.

My idea is for something a little closer to all those lazy folks down Durban/PMB/Midlands area where we can organize something we can do on a weekend morning - possibly to recruit riders to do a more serious ride up Chicco's way to see the real dogs.

A while ago MadDog and I went on the Poker Run organized by BMW in Umhlanga. I really enjoyed it, and have unashamedly nicked the idea, but for a dual-sport event.

So here is my concept on the table for discussion.

We chose five really nice spots only accessible by our kind of bikes somewhere in the corridor between Durban and PMB. Possible spots could include:-
Mphophoma Mzinyati waterfall.
The top of Mtabatula
Top of Matata (Nanda Mountain)
Viewsite of Msilili waterfall
Ngilnyoni mountain
Ufudu mountain
Hammar Falls / Kirk Falls
Nungwane falls
etc etc

I can make access maps / tracks / road-books to the spots.

Then we ask the local vendor guys each to man one of the spots. vendor guys we could approach could be:-
Yama guys - Perry / Cyclecraft etc.
KTM - Alfie Cox ?
BMW - Ryder / Umhlanga
Kawa / Triumph / Aprilia - North Coast Kawa.
Gear Up
I dunno the Suzi and Honda guys.
We make flyers for them to hand out at their shops

At each point they provide a cold drink/cookies/coffee and the rider draws a playing card (stamped with their stamp, and signed in their presence by the rider)

We break the riders into packets of friends or riders of similar speed and they loop the course collecting cards. Ride is only for street-legal two wheelers as it will be on public rural roads.

At the finish (somewhere conveniently located) we have a Wild Dog preso and the best poker hand of five cards wins a prize. If we have more than five spots the rider can choose to ditch the worst cards, or skip some of the stops.

We collect money from entry fees and donations at the finish. 

What you KZNers say ? Possible ?