KZN - DURBAN TO INGELI FOREST LODGE - 9th and 10th November

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr G (David)

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
Not sure what prompted me to initiate this ride but I had a few newbies who were looking to take their bikes on a run. Needless to same there was a lot of enthusiasm about the thought of getting it together. :3some:
I decided to put it on the forum as I started getting people with unforeseen circumstances being steered in other directions. None the less I continued to plan the forest section with waypoints for the Saturday afternoon loop and the return run to Hibberdene via Highflats.
Saturday morning arrived (so did the rain) and the last gent had to pull out after hurting his shoulder the day before at the work place……mmmmm. ???
I was packed and ready to go…..within an hour of decision making and phoning the Lodge to get a weather report, I was surprised to hear that it had not rained yet……that was my Q. Within 5 minutes I set the route for Umzimkulu and I was off. :laughing4:

I was no sooner out the back of Marian Hill and the rain turned into a misty drizzle and by the time I got onto the R56 it was bone dry….yes please!! :biggrin:

The rest was history. The food at the Lodge was real country servings at a reasonable price and the beers where cold. >:D

The forest ride was mind blowing. Once in the forest you could not see land marks and every  “numbered” waypoint on the route became vitally important in getting the hell out of there. Believe me there were one or two moments I started second guessing myself. But one or two back tracks and I would be on my way again….but what an experience….those forests go for ever and certainly spectacular. The terrain varied from loose rock, to some loose logs (finding my way), stream crossings, some ruts (from the rains), not too much mud, but slippery pine needles. No offs, but real good fun. I found myself woohooing in my helmet with what I was indulging in.

The wild life that caught my eye whilst in the forests was a big black cat ( I mean big) that seemed to leap from a tree into the forest  as I rode passed, keeping focused on the twin trail and there were plenty of wild horses…amazing stuff. There were several stops I made in the forests, which I kept short after deciding it was better to keep moving than becoming some predators supper….I shit you not! :patch: :patch: :patch: :patch:
After a good hearty supper and evening watching rugby at the watering hole, I was up at 7am to enjoy a good old country breakfast.  :thumleft:

I left the lodge at 8am and headed for Highflats. Another fuel stop in Umzimkulu and soon found myself on a tar road that seemed to be unknown, that is after the turn off at Highflats. It wound its way through the hills with lots of twisties. I could not believe it; however I got looks from the locals as if they could not believe what they were seeing….. I then hit the d roads as my Garmin pulled me off the newly laid and under constructions roads. I believe this will be a tar road linking St Faiths in Port Shepstone to Highflats in the midlands of the South Coast.
The pace slowed down and careful waypoint following took me over some severely damaged bridges from the recent storms. Most were still passable for cars by driving through the streams as did I. Then I came across the challenge of my day. See the photos attached.
Once in Hibberedene I took the old South Coast Rd back to Durban. The ol Hog :snorting: served me well.
Stats: 552Km, Max Speed 113Km/hr, Average Speed 62Km/hr, and actual moving time 9 Hours.

Attachments

• 2 On D roads and heading to the Town Umzimkulu.jpg
    2 On D roads and heading to the Town Umzimkulu.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 3 Fuel stop in Umzimkulu.jpg
    3 Fuel stop in Umzimkulu.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 4 My cabin on the left.jpg
    4 My cabin on the left.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 5 The view from the  patio dinningroom.jpg
    5 The view from the patio dinningroom.jpg