Ladybrand Mission - incl damage & repairs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Ganjora

Friday 17 October 2008

JHB â?? Ladybrand

Woke early,  and took my boy to school on the back of a fully loaded KLR.   Then hit the William Nicol,  and onto the N1 north @ 7:00.   1st stop for the day was the KLR Doctor,  Graham,  for a â??cuppa joeâ??.   It was then that I realised in my packing haste of the prior evening that I had completely neglected to bring any tools aside from puncture repair stuffâ?¦.   Graham kindly loaned me a spare clutch cable.   Not sure what I would have done with it in any event,  what with no toolsâ?¦.   After that down the R82 till over the Vaal river then the R702 until it turned to dirt.  

17102008222.jpg

Thickish sandy stuff was the first serving through typical Free State countryside.  

some free state scenery...
17102008226.jpg

Went through a â??twighlight zoneâ?? town called Edenville.   Cows grazing on the pavementsâ?¦.   No photoâ??s,  the people were already blown away by the KLR,  a cameraphone might have done them irreparable damage.    Then lots of rocky roads,  where the bush â??tightenedâ?? up a bit.  

17102008227.jpg

Just kept the throttle pinned.   The road changed  to a very,  very rocky,  surface with huge middlemannetjies of shale.   Large rocks lying in wait of a â??snakebiteâ? kept me dancing on the pegs.  

17102008230.jpg

About 30km out of Ladybrand I started paying attention to a strange noise.   Stopped to discover the radiator fanâ??s brackets,  all 3,  had rattled broken!!!   The fan was swinging under the radiator,  hanging by itâ??s power wires.   So,  I removed it,  tossed it in my rucksack,  and carried on into town.  

17102008231.jpg

Stopped at the â??Beef â??n Reefâ? for a cheddermelt burger and a beer,  while I prepared documents for the clients I had to see,  and who,  indeed,  were paying for this little trippieâ?¦   Man,  oh man,  a double burger chippies and onion rings + zamalek for R65 incl tip!!!!!!   After that off to the clients,  and once done there,  off to the â??Little Rockâ? campsite for a self accom rondawel.   R190 for the night.   Cheap indeed for a fridge,  table and chairs,  sink,  bed and private shower.    Ahh,  whatâ??s life without a little luxury on occasion.   After changing out of bike boots I took a stroll up the hills behind the campsite for a spectacular view of town & surrounds.   Hit the sack at about 9ish.   Big day tomorrowâ?¦

view from the top of the hills...
17102008234.jpg

Saturday

What a day â?? Ladybrand â?? Golden Gate

Left my luxurious lodgings at 6:30,  and hit the dirt immediately.  

18102008243.jpg

Stopped for a beer,  and smoke,  then continued along a meandering gravel road.  

18102008244.jpg

18102008248.jpg

Hit the tar again and then took a turn off to the â??Old Mill Routeâ?.   Streetmaps doesnâ??t show any road here,  but T4A does.   It looked brilliant on the pcâ?¦..  

18102008251.jpg

The road was  fine for quite a way,  and I was feeling confident,  and full of that kind of joy which can only be found in the early morning on top of a bike with the cool fresh wind blasting in your face.   Stunning stuff.  

18102008252.jpg

The road then deteriorated fairly quickly into what can only be equated to the initial section of the â??uphillâ?? Kao Mines road.   A stretch of about 100m of loose rock -  couple of layers deep,  up a steep hill with a long way to drop,  of course.   Helluva entertaining stuff.   Made it through,  and got to the next corner where I stopped for another smoke and beer.  

18102008258.jpg

After I continued,  the road, it got,  well not worse,  it just never changed really,  lots and lots of step ups and loose rockâ?¦..   I rattled on up this road for a fair bit,  and got to the turn I missedâ?¦.   It looked like a washed away,  eroded,  side of hill,  and in my defence T4A showed the turn as slightly further aheadâ?¦.   I continued straight,  along what seemed to be the main road â?? certainly more used than the other track...  

18102008259.jpg

18102008260.jpg

This â??roadâ?? then deteriorated faster per meter than my sense of humour.   I suddenly had my first off,  it came as a big surpriseâ?¦   Picked her up,  had a chuckle and continued.   (I did this another 7 times up this road,  not so much chuckling thoughâ?¦)   Checked the GPS many times,  and it showed me I was off course,  but I didnâ??t believe I had missed the turn,  I hadnâ??t seen one yet???â?¦..   Just went into â??comrades marathon mentalityâ??:  keep going forwards,  each meter counts,  the end is sooner than you think,  just keep movingâ?¦   The road became a donkey path perched precariously on the edge of a steep and long drop.   Keep to the rut closest to the hill,  otherwise you fall down the â??deep endâ??.   We went down frequently along a stretch were I averaged nothing above 6kph.   Remember,  the radiator has no fan,  so Iâ??m watching the temp gauge very carefully.   Luckily the bike and my own overheating seemed to coincideâ?¦.   Each time it died or I drop and pick it up,  I collapse on the side of the road.   Head pounding,  heart racingâ?¦   Heat exhaustion and dehydration are busy setting inâ?¦   During this stage,  I completely forgot about photo's etc...    

After each fall/rest I start walking the terrain ahead before I ride it.   It doesnâ??t make it easier,  but at least you know what to expectâ?¦.   At last,  the roadâ??s conclusion.   It simply peters out on the top of a mountain at a lookout point.   Rode around the top scanning the hills ahead for any sign of a road,  but nothingâ?¦.   I laughed in my helmet,  when I realised that all my efforts had been wastedâ?¦   Nothing else you can doâ?¦   At least the return is easy,  itâ??s all downhill right????  

From the top...
18102008263.jpg

I had another 3 offs on the way down,  the first trying to be too fancy,  and the other 2 from being too cautiousâ?¦.    

I got to the missed turn,  and saw the road,  I wanted to cryâ?¦   More of the sameâ?¦   Only 1 way:  forward,  and so I went.   At this stage,  the bike was going down simply because I no longer had the strength to hold it up.   As it topples to the side,  and especially if youâ??re short,  once it gets past a certain lean angle,  the weight is simply too much to hold when your foot hits the ground.   Itâ??s actually easier to let it fall,  then pick it up while standing properly.   Anyway after  the next tumble,  I lay under the bike and took a second to catch my breath.   Just then it dawned on me:  I cannot keep going much longer,  my heart is racing,  my head is pounding,  Iâ??m dizzy,  nauseous and disoriented.   I know I cannot do much more of this.   Again the bike goes down.   Deep ruts filled with 2/3/4 layers of loose rocks,  steep hill and sheer dropâ?¦   Panic gets it up and forward.   Down again.   I struggled for what seemed like for ever,  and got her up,  and off.   Then,  suddenly,  it flattened out,  and a gate across the road.   Simple,  at this stage, there ainâ??t no way Iâ??m going backwards â?? leatherman and cut itâ?¦  

Rode about 2 flat & easy km further,  and rode into 2 older couples parked in the middle of the road with their cruiser,  awning out with deck chairs,  picnic baskets and wine in the shade.   A sightâ?¦..   I stopped and enjoyed a litre of water,  and discussed the road ahead,  before continuing along what the driver old dude thought was a brutal road.   Not easy stuff,  but level 1comparitively.    Flew down it and into Clarens for lunch,  then off to the Golden Gate camp site.   Bought some beer on the way,  no way I was going to give dehydration another chance at me.   The park is expensive,  a bit if a rip at R127 for 1 night single CAMPING!!!  

18102008268.jpg

from top of golden gate
18102008280.jpg

Climbed the gate,  as you can seeâ?¦   Drank all my beer,  then off early to bed again.   Absolutely farkedâ?¦.

me lying on my back
18102008282.jpg

Here is the T4A of the area,  you can see where I missed the turn and went straight.....

OldMillRoute.jpg

Sunday

An easy ride home with nothing of mention.   Took intermittent easy gravel and back roads.   Stopped for brekkie at Harrismith Wimpy and checked out the MILFâ??s,  then homeward on an ill and somewhat wounded KLR.

Total Damage to Bike
Gear Lever â?? cannot change gears properly.   I think the splines may be worn and farked from falls,  need to make some permanent fixâ?¦
Right mirror perch - gone,  somewhereâ?¦  
Fan â?? rattled off the radiator,  got it though,  taking the rad out and for re-inforcement/refabrication  of said fan,  this weekâ?¦
Petrol Cap â?? seal broken/gone,  boer maak â??n planâ?¦
Headlight â?? not working,  havenâ??t looked yet eitherâ?¦

Savers of the show
IMS tank â?? took a beating,  no,  it got farking hammered sensless.   Saved me,  maybe 8 radiators on this trip alone!!!!!!!!!!   It is dented badly by the cut out vents,  characterâ?¦
Gaerne SG10 MX boots â?? saved me another ankle,  I forget how many nowâ?¦
KLR â?? a very strong bike,  capable of more abuse than most of us can dish out,  and certainly more than I can handleâ?¦

Lessons Learned

Take enough fluids.   This was my undoing.   I was not preparedâ?¦
Take tools,  you idiot.
Trust the GPS.  
Take enough fluidsâ?¦

Aaiirree Rasta!!!
O0