Lane Splitting when Dark

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sho`t Left

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
This morning I was commuting in my cage on the M1n @ about 5h45 just before the Crown Interchange when I gave this oke on his red & white crotch rocket a terrible fright when I was about to change lanes.
Needless to say, he was kind enough to give me the finger before I could apologize though.

The fact is, when it is dark and you splitting lanes between cars, your headlights just blends into the rest of the vehicles queueing behind each other and from a motorist viewpoint from the side-view mirror a bikes headlights looks no different to the rest of the "one-sided single headlights" of cars driving behind you. This mornings misty conditions did not help the situation either  :(
Normally when I change lanes in these situations I try and spot that invisible bike but admittedly even I got it wrong this morning  :eek:  for the first time if I may add.

So, If you don't split lanes with an orange headlight cover (at least) and loud exhaust you are gonna pull a lot of zaps at motorist that will target you in the end... take it from someone that sat at both sides of the fence. We all know that lots of bikers are getting taken out on a weekly basis on freeways and I think this must be the main reason... that said, my thoughts also goes out to those that have lost loved ones on our roads

We need to face the reality that it's not always the motorists fault. It just is what it is and bikers needs to be extremely careful in these situations. Before giving a motorist the finger, have empathy and put yourself in the driver seat of that "cage" and think again.

Guys & Girls that commutes by bike, please be extremely careful out there.