Lane splitting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scalpel

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
In the light of what happened this morning on the N1 south I am posting this. I do not know what the circumstances was this morning, I can only comment on what I see every morning during my commute to Midrand. Unfortunately it is company policy that I have to drive by cage every day.

I see some comments about inconcidererate cagers are made. Adventurer mentioned the narrow lanes and that it is nearly impossible to lane split. I agree to an extent with both. Some cagers will never see a bike, even if you are riding over them. Bikes just move to fast for them and they start doing a lane change when there is no bike in site and then the next moment the bike is there!

Some guys try to lane split with an 1200gs ADV with panniers. I think these guys have a death wish on themselves! At the moment the lanes are so narrow. Where do you want the cage to go? It cannot go closer to the concrete middle section! Yet some bikers expect the cage to get out of the way for them.

This moring I saw a guy with a Dakar nearly loose his balance and fall due to the fact that he could not judge the gap between cars. Things like this I see everyday. Yes cagers are guilty of a lot of bad things, but the bikers can make things easier for themselves by riding a bit slower and safer.

I know this is going to unleash a lot of comments, but what I saw this morning is really not worth it! A life is lost, he was a fellow biker! Ride safely guys please! Your lives is worth more that the ten to twenty minutes that you beat the traffic with!!