Last Ride for 2011...not without some pain !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douw

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
After a few phone calls and very little organizing 5 of us decided to head out for a 2 day ride to end of 2011.
Orange Swifty called a mate to organize lodgings and at 07H00 on Monday morning we met at the garage at the corner of Lynnwood and Hans Strydom.
DSC00025.jpg

With the over-indulgence of X-mas we hit the road with differing degrees of hangovers and just past Cullinan we stopped at an old farmhouse for the 1st smoke break of many..
DSC00026.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

We followed a route planned by HSK and soon we were having a blast…  we travelled through Naboomspruit and settled in at Sasha’s for a lunch.
DSC00040.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

The total lack of planning now started playing a roll and the main questions were  (a) What are we going to drink… (b)  what are we going to eat… and (c).. where are we going to get petrol.
Our first session on day 2 would be a ride of 300kms without anywhere to get petrol so we had to fill up at Marken.
After getting some meat from the OK and drinks from the NBS we set out for our next stop.
DSC00042.jpg

We rode for a short while and after suddenly Gryshond who was on HSK’s HP2 disappeared in a huge plume of smoke.  We all gathered to see what the problem was and soon we saw that he had blown the oil pipe on the front of the motor… the oil landing on the headers had caused the rather spectacular plume of white.
HSK got a strap from Swifty and towed JC to Marken.
On arrival at Marken we had to queue for petrol and had a few cold ones.
DSC00060.jpg

This gave Orange Swifty time to fix his 1st puncture for this trip and HSK got a pipe from an old car wreck to sort the HP.
DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

Soon we were filled up and made our way to Bennie’s farm were we had a bed for the night.
DSC00044.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

The ride up to the lodge was a bit of a sand monster but soon we were settled in and got the fire going just before nightfall.
DSC00068.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

We woke the next morning with a serious realization that we would have to ride the sand monster again.  With all the partying from the night before…
DSC00085.jpg

There was bound to be a sore head or two the next day…with the empties scattered like dead soldiers..
DSC00092.jpg

We left the farm and proceeded on riding some e of the most spectacular roads I have seen in a long time.

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

We stopped at a little road-side shop and got Coke and Lemon Cream biscuits for breakfast…planning was not high on the agenda….

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00098.jpg

We filled up again in Thabazimbi and got out of town towards Rooiberg.
With HSK and Gryshond out in front and Smokes following them we passed our mate François’s farm.  Not 3 kms further down the road Smokes had a moerse off.  He had gotten his front in a rut and after trying his best to recover the tankslapper he shot of the side of the road narrowly missing a huge steel gate.
As Swifty and myself came past we saw him lying next to the road with his SE on on its side.
DSC00122.jpg

The others had by now turned back and we helped him as best we could.
DSC00126.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

The bike was a bit of a mess as well…
DSC00127.jpg

Swifty called Francois who happened to be on his way to the farm and he came to fetch Smokes.
We also called Mrs Smokes and she left Jhb to fetch him from the farm.
Between Francois and Swifty they doctored Smokes and strapped his arm to help with the pain.  They wrist was a bit of a shocker and he also had a deep cut where his glasses had cut him.
DSC00131.jpg

We gave him a few painkillers and a beer and waited for his family to fetch him.
DSC00133.jpg

HSK and Gryshond had other commitments and they safely rode home… Hein and I decided to stay on the farm for another night. We spent most of the remainder of the day hanging out in the pool with a cooler box and a gazebo.
DSC00137.jpg

The next morning early we woke early and with the mist hanging around we rode home via Bela Bela and Rust de Winter where we encountered the muddiest roads I have been on in years.
DSC00147.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

The trip back was not without dramas and Swifty got another flat after hitting a badly washed area on the road…
DSC00155.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

Soon I ran out of talent and high sided myself into the bushes.  Swifty could not stop laughing at me but no harm done and we were off again.
DSC00158.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

We stopped at the last bottle store outside Mamelodi and had a final cold one for 2011.
DSC00161.jpg

While sitting on the step we talked about the happenings of the day before, Smoke’s crash and mostly about the rides we had this year…  we have been blessed with so many opportunities.. and with such lekker roads and areas to visit.  I loved being a biker in 2011….
…. And I am going to love it even more in 2012……