Learner solo ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonedown

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Although I have done Kings Mountain level 1 with Stephen King, lack of dirt road riding has not given me much opportunity to ‘hone the skills’ learnt from Stephen. :(

…and then I go and put my name down for the intermediate course in July this year with Jan du Toit in Amersfoort!! :eek:  Talk about a sucker for punishment!!

Now, realizing I need what the tar road riders would call ‘saddle time’ I have over the last few weeks decided that I need to spend some time on dirt roads – initially ‘dirt highway’ type roads to get the feel etc. Suppose in WD terms this would be ‘footpeg time?’ ;)

This was duly done on two occasions over the last two months – not nearly enough time on dirt for good experience.

Last weekend while taking the dogs to the veld for a run I noticed a gravel service road that appeared to go around Cornwall Hill Estate – and so a plan was hatched – June 16th was when I was going to ride some more dirt roads.

Set off today at about 2pm this afternoon – on my own. ::)

Entered the veld from Nelmapius road turned left along the wall of the estate and eventully the track along the wall turned right – but there was also a road straight ahead.

As I had no other plans for the afternoon I decided to go straight – intention to come back later to complete the Cornwall Hill track.

Went under the ORT highway

P1050652.jpg

and rode around in the veld,

P1050655.jpg

then back to the highway and found the ‘construction road’ running parallel to the highway.  Rode this for a few kilometers – at times faster than  the cars on the tar section next to me.

P1050656.jpg

Eventually turned back

P1050658.jpg

and continued with the Cornwall Hill track – only to reach this gate!! Damn!!

P1050659.jpg

Turned back to where I had started this track – enjoyed this uphill section so much I did it twice – much faster the second time.
P1050661.jpg

Got to my start and instead of turning onto Nelmapuis carried on straight up the hill – it got a bit rocky and bumpy and just kept thinking – ‘keep it moving’.

P1050663.jpg

P1050664.jpg

The track eventually came out on Nelmapius and ended at the entrance to the Cornwall Hill Estate – so I turned round and when back the way I had come.
I was really enjoying this bumping around on dirt tracks and my confidence was getting better.
After this rode some other dirt roads and found some graveL to play in for some practice.

P1050669.jpg

Then decided to go back to Centurion via the tracks behind Smuts Koppie.
P1050671.jpg

P1050673.jpg

P1050674.jpg

Just before getting back onto the tar I saw this track next the railway line at Pinedene Station and thought – why not!!
P1050679.jpg

Near the bridge at Irene Country Club the track came to an end and I had to turn around and go back the way I had come.
P1050681.jpg

All in all a great solo ride with lots of new experiences for me.  Total of 75km – about 60km of it on dirt.
P1050678.jpg