Learning to ride a gsa the hard way..... with a elephant involved.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I recently got a Gsa and decided to take a relaxed ride to just get used to the bike as it is a lot heavier and more powerful then my previous bike a ktm690, a friend had also just gotten a new bike and he came along for a laugh. Well a quiet Sunday ride it was most definitely not! Apart from the near impossible to resist urges to give that bike its full power. I landed up being chased by a very grumpy bull elephant who had decided to cross the road in front of me on the right hand side regardless of the fact that there was a 8foot tall game fence between us.Suffice it to say the fence didn't last long due to his ardent attentions. He was very relaxed till he was over the fence. It was at this point he showed his real mood and charged straight at me.I gave that bike as much throttle as I could, my mate who had stopped a little further back to take a photo of an eagle,fell off his new klr from laughing at the sight of my rear tyre fish tailing as I tried to get away from this "lovely and majestic creature". Apart from my very hurt pride as a ranger and my amusement at my friends broken mirror and scratches, I learnt that the steering damper my dad had put on had probably saved me to say the least. we found some awesome single track through a ravine area which a friendly farmer was more than happy to let us ride through as well as the more rocky koppe areas on his property. The farm has only got plains game and he has no issues with any bikes as long as you don't chase his game, for R20 it was a bargain and there are some fairly technical sections where i think some more experienced riders could have some fun and in a couple of months i will definitely tackle. The property is in the gravelotte area and anyone wanting to go there must just drop me a message for jan's details.

Hope you all enjoy the read as much as i enjoyed the ride.:)

feel free to comment or drop any advice:)