Leo's Dec 11 Trails and Tribulations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
For the past two years I have had no serious break over December due to the fact that I normally took my leave in June/July to do a longish trip into Africa somewhere. This past year my boss and I had a bit of an argument over leave and the fact that I took leave “in advance” resulting in negative accumulated leave, so I decided to take no leave during the year to accumulate leave for our 2012 trip plus afford me the luxury of a  few days leave in December. 
My good friend Basil insisted that I come to visit them in Danabaai, he would Stoetie his and his son’s bike down and then we could do some riding while down there while still allowing him some time with his family. Antonie’s current companion of choice also pulled out at the last moment for their camping trip to Lamberts Bay, so he decided to join.
We left Gauteng on Saturday 17 Dec.

A loaded Honey and somewhere to go!

1701.jpg

Just before Phillipolis Honey started to splutter so I pulled off at a local garage and tried to sort what I thought was the problem.

1702.jpg

About 40 km’s before Colesburg Honey called it the day and dropped a valve which destroyed the motor. See report elsewhere on the forum.

Unhappy owner after his long-time companion let him down.

1703.jpg

Well Honey was recovered to Jhb and I was then forced to commence the holiday on the Eishpee. By Sunday night 18 Dec at 11:30pm we were in Dana Bay and ready to start our planned tour. Part of our agenda included a 5 day trip up the west coast to introduce Basil and his family to the sights and sounds of this splendid area.

Here is our group with wife and kids (not so small anymore) and hangers on, ready to start the trip

1901.jpg

We followed dirt roads in the area past Stilbaai and eventually made our way to Riebeek West in the WC where we were going to stay at Bottervet’s pozzy before we continue further up the coast. 

The gravel roads were generally in better condition than the tar roads

1903.jpg

Somewhere near Stilbaai

1909.jpg

More pictures in the area

1904.jpg

We met with Bottervet here at the  Malgaspond – he was going to join us on the rest of the trip

19092.jpg

The Pond is operated through manual labour

1905.jpg

Fooling around on the Pond While crossing

1912.jpg

Not too expensive to cross – last I went past here it cost R5.

1914.jpg

Waiting for the family in the pickup

1902.jpg

In Bredasdorp we stopped at the Merino Inn to have a quick lunch before continuing to Cape Augulas

1913.jpg

We reached the most southern tip of Africa and had to take the obligatory picture

1906.jpg

One would have though a name like Skilopatie, or something like that!! Sorry can’t speak the other 9 official languages

1907.jpg

Time was running late so after Augulas, we set our GPS for Riebeek and headed there fastest route. Camp was setup in no time and we could indulge in the sights and sounds of life on a farm.

1908.jpg

Bottervet prepared 2 Snoek which went down exceptionally well along with sweet potato and KWV 5 Year.

1910.jpg

Leo braaied some wors for the people not wanting fish.

1911.jpg

The next morning Bottervet took us on the gravel roads in the area which would take us to Moorreesburg

2001.jpg

He had arranged for us to have breakfast at Lategans – situated in the main road

2000.jpg

The breakfast was well and truly excellent value for money. Do yourself a favour and pop in here next time you pass through town.

Basil and Bottervet proudly displaying their breakfast

20002.jpg

She was married to Dozi – the singer. I think her name is Murial.

2003.jpg

Menu prices – really good value for money. The French toast with cream, nut, banana, etc is also worth a try.

2004.jpg

From here we headed to Paternoster. Just before Vredenburg we turned off onto the Knoppieshoogte road. Lovely little twee spoor.

2002.jpg

2016.jpg

The road somehow disappeared and we were eventually apprehended by this angry young farmer who showed us the right way after some fairly harsh words. Sorry Sir but the GPS…..

2017.jpg

Paternoster – what a quaint little spot, although as of late not so little any more.

2005.jpg

…… more Paternoster

2022.jpg

Oep ve Koep – a local shop in Paternoster stating that they are open for buying.

2018.jpg

The famous panty bar in the Paternoster hotel. Some of these items have been hanging here for 30 plus years.

2007.jpg

Rated one of the Top 10 camp sites in SA. Tietiesbaai

2015.jpg

From here we headed to Velddrif where we visited the Bokkomlaan

2019.jpg

Unique humor from the area.

2020.jpg

The Ex Mother in Law

2021.jpg

… here they grow “fokkeltjies”

2006.jpg

……. And a computer burnout looks like this

2008.jpg

The Point at Elandsbaai with seals basking in the son.

2009.jpg

From Elandsbaai you travel to Lambertsbay on a gravel road that is tolled.

2010.jpg

The money is used to maintain the road which was in a good condition.

2013.jpg

Bottervet had his first flat on the Tenere. We managed to fix it in under an hour.

2014.jpg

Safely at our destination for the day – Malkoppan Campsite in Lambertsbay

2011.jpg

Our neighbours promptly invited us to use their braai and coals to cook our meat. The people on the west coast are very friendly and open.

2012.jpg

Leo braaiing some tjops before we tackle the fish the next day.

2023.jpg

Early Morning

2101.jpg

Our campsite – excellent ablutions

2102.jpg

Bottervet had one of those 2 second tents, but fitting into it proved to be a bit of a challenge for a man of his stature.

2122.jpg

Campsite

2123.jpg

I bought myself some bokkoms to eat, but were not allowed to keep it near anyone/anything, so my HP had to make do!

2103.jpg

Bottervet had organised a case of KWV’s finest, so we were well and truly sorted

2104.jpg

The next morning we visited the sights and sounds of Lambertsbay – this Malgas eiland

2105.jpg

Basil doing his impersonation of a fisherman

2106.jpg

We had a quick “Sletsappie” at Isabellas in the harbor

2117.jpg

Jean against a splendid backdrop

2118.jpg

Bottervet looking hapy with life.

2119.jpg

Antonie doing his hooligan thing

2124.jpg

Inner peace if one views this sight.

2125.jpg

Even the local seals were waving at us – friendly chap.

2120.jpg

Jean du Plessis at an award winning photo taken by Jean du Plessis

2121.jpg

Soon it was time for us to report at the Muisbosskerm restaurant.

2107.jpg

Voted the best open air restaurant in the world.

2108.jpg

Do yourself a favour and try to eat here at least once

2126.jpg

Antonie getting more “sletsappies”

2109.jpg

Food to die for

2110.jpg

………..of all kinds and varieties

2111.jpg

….. and more

2112.jpg

This sweet looking girl agreed to pose with the twee omies. Apparently she is a well-known actress in a popular soap – sorry her name has slipped my mind now.

2113.jpg

At 4’ish we were tired from all the “sletsappies”

2114.jpg

Bottervet thought it wise to take a nap with his helmet on.

2115.jpg

That evening we were invited to a friend in the Lambertsbaai campsite. All 11 of us were invited – they supplied all. We felt obliged to take some KWV.

This guys will entertain you nonstop for ours – Andre who apparently was filmed on one of the episodes of “Maak ‘n Las” with Tolla. He entertained us till the wee hours of the morning.

2116.jpg

The next day we had to start our return journey. Yes all good things has to come to an end.

Here’s Bottervet studying the manual to fold that 2 second tent back to shape

2201.jpg

Group photo outside Lambertsbay

2202.jpg

From here we headed inland to Clainwilliam where we had a quick picnic nexto the dam before continuing our journey through the Cederberg Mountains

2300.jpg

Lovely gravel roads through the Cederberg Mountains

2209.jpg

Spectacular

2305.jpg

…more Cederberg Mountains

2210.jpg

Our destination for the day was the Warm Waterberg Spa on the R62 outside Barrydale. It is within a few km’s of Ronnies Sex Shop. Of course we had to stop here to have a few more “sletsappies”

2203.jpg

World Renowned

2306.jpg

The bar is almost a replica of the Panty Bar in Paternoster

2307.jpg

Basil had to get him a t-shirt to mark the occasion

2204.jpg

Of course as any proper Wild Dog will do – we had to make our mark

2205.jpg

The result

2206.jpg

Some of the bikes that visited while we were there.

2207.jpg

The legend himself photographed here with Ronnie

2208.jpg

At the Spa the wind was pumping so we managed to secure a nice spot next to a wall made from riete, else we would have probably been blown to Lainsburg.

2308.jpg

Of course one has to swim in the hot spa water

2309.jpg

The next morning we popped into Barrydale where we had breakfast at the biker friendly Pumpkin restaurant.

2301.jpg

From here we headed for the Trudouw pass

2302.jpg

Antonie lost his footing while taking photographs, but managed to hang onto the cliff till we could drag him back to safety

2303.jpg

Two beautiful sights

2304.jpg

We got home safely and promised ourselves that in 2012 we will be spending more time on the west coast. The people are very friendly and does their absolute best to make one feel welcome.

After our trip we spend some time with the family and only did the odd day trip in and around the area.

These okes seems to know when I don’t have my hunting rifle nearby - Koedoe

2601.jpg

Very tame – I guess they are not hunted.

2603.jpg

Proof that I was in the area.

2602.jpg

On another day we decided to ride the Seven Passes route around Knysna. We picked the wrong day as it was raining, but we rode non the less.

Breakfast at the Wimpy in a crowded Knysna

2701.jpg

Basil had enough KWV to last a year and decided to take it a bit slow

2702.jpg

We popped into Noetsie for a photo with the well-known castles.

2703.jpg

Knysna from a distance

2704.jpg

One of the many passes we rode that day as portrayed by the GPS

2705.jpg

Awesome

2706.jpg

Don’t drop your bike down here – it will take a while to recover.

2708.jpg

Rivers were filled with Coke Cola, just waiting to be frizzed and bottled

2709.jpg

More Coke going to waste

2710.jpg

Taking a break to refuel

2711.jpg

… but Santa didn’t deliver

2712.jpg

The rain stopped for a moment and Antonie thought it was over, but as he put the last piece of rain suite in his topbox it started again. It rained for the rest of the way.

2713.jpg

Safely at home

2714.jpg

On another occasion we decided it was time to visit Knysna for some Oysters. The famous Oyster farm is no more, so one has to eat at one of the many restaurants on Thesen Island

Antonie indulging in this aphrodisiac

2801.jpg

We also went on a 4X4 trip in Basil’s new D4D. This was a lotta fun although we were not allowed to take any “sletsappies” on track.

This is a competent machine

2901.jpg

First time on a 4X4 track with the sea in view. Apparently this track near Vleesbaai has made it to the top 10 for a few years

2902.jpg

On 30 Dec, the fun was over and we had to head home. Getting the HP home was a nuisance as one has to stop at almost every town. However fitting a larger tank is not an option as this will turn it into an Adv and will also affect the ergonomics of this awesome machine.

Antonie assisting as my butt was taking strain

3001.jpg

Thanks to all for a truly great holiday.  :thumleft:

Happy New Year to each and every one!

Many happy and safe miles