Lesotho and around the passes Easter 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mother

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Lesotho and around the passes Easter 2009

You know how it is…long weekend nothing major planned. got keen biker chommies nowhere to go… lots of time suddenly and to top it off you got me who needs to run in his Mother of an Adventure…by the way, da utha chommie just as keen as he got his new beast a week before me…..
Z and L always keen what a nice situation to be in... What awesome utha halves we have…..

Anyway the scene was painted and Lesotho and around was the destination…utha chommie Hoofseun had some work last minute and would catch up later the evening with us

So we set off from Pretoria to Villiers via Balfour to miss the traffic and toll road
[Breakfast nice and early at the Ultra city Villiers then we picked up the gravel roads at Cornelia to Vrede…to me the eastern OFS gravel roads are the best kept secret for GS riding….beautiful passes / mountains and scenery are the order of the day…I love riding here…one of the reasons I bought the farm we where headed to for the evening (its near Kestel and I even converted the garage to a backpackers, sleeps 10.and is biker friendly. but that’s another story)
lanzeasrernofs.jpg

From Pretoria to Kestel back roads was around 400kays an easy day trip. We arrived at the farm nice and early as usual it was piss cold so we settled in to wait for Hoofseun to arrive…which he did much much later around 11pm. I think it was…leka koud

Next day we where all together and things where on track. We headed to Buthe Buthe in Lesotho via Fouriesburg
The border crossing was fairly painless and in no time we where approaching the pass to Oxbow

justinlesotho.jpg

groupilesotho.jpg

Oxbow is a nice place to stop for a refresher and a bite which we did…I have been riding Lesotho since before the Katse dam .In the old days the tar road ended just other side of Oxbow .There’s a reason there was no tar then….You must see the condition of the road from Ski Africa….scary shit …pot holes of note …no time to enjoy the view…wish it was gravel again would be much better.

nearoxbow.jpg

oxbow.jpg

Skati and I had a close call avoiding a mother of a hole and scrapped past the barrier…I had to put new stickers on my right pannier….mmm now it’s got more houding
You know how it is having loads of fun in no time we where on the gravel road near Mogotlong doing the last 60 or so kays to Sani pass

mogotlong.jpg

justabovesani.jpg

sanisighn.jpg

As with all things business and the inevitable change that surrounds us Jonathan the owner of Sani Top Chalet has up graded the place again to fit even more tourists in (who can blame him) the camp spot now being a decent walk from the little lodge….so if its piss cold which it normally is there…if u camping u better drink lots of glue vine and dress warm
pisscoldsani.jpg

Next day we met a new Kits chommie from Mapumalanga who wanted to ride down the pass with us on his 1150GS…mmm good oke and he made the right choice…Naturally Hoofseun was there to help him pick up his bike many times.

freshgroupibysani.jpg

downsani.jpg

bottomosani.jpg

Sani pass has many faces in the years ive ridden it up or down, either which way and sometimes she can be a real bitch…this time was no exception and the rain had turned her ugly…hats off to the oke from Mapumalanga and Z a few minor tumbles but made it all the way down with no major incident

On to Himville and food… mmmm...The Himville Arms didn’t have food for us and service was shocking not like the place was pumping, the oke must be making money in other ways!!!
So we moved on to next town Underberg and had an awesome meal and great service. Mikes place
With all the fun had on the mountain and looking for place to eat, we started running shy on time so it was a bit of a bolt for Maclear and Naudesneck destination Rhodes
naudesneck.jpg

Naudes neck was in great condition baring the loose rocks before the accent
By the time we got to the top it was getting dark big time…Riding the last few kays from top of Naudes to Rhodes remains for me a highlight of our trip
Cold ..Skati holding me tight and rabbits and buck running across the road and  night hairpin bend vision…was fun
naudespass.jpg

naudesatnight.jpg

When we got to Rhodes it was dark and we where in no mood to camp so we booked into an empty spook house across from the hotel,, nice and convenient
Had supper and lots of drink at the hotel it was really nice. There was a poor bugger braaing our food out in the cold
rhodesinamorn.jpg

Next day we took the scenic route to Lundeans neck pass via Tiffendels
tiffendelroad.jpg

Really nice road with exception of the double concrete slab mountain road.. flipping feels like 90 degrees… just before the top… have done it before but I don’t like it and it duznt help u hate hights.My skati always impresses me she goes anywhere im willing to go…Best girlfriend you could want
tiffendel.jpg

The plan was to have breakfast at Tiffendels ski resort but as we discovered the place operates on skeleton staff out of season and we where out of season!!!
topotiffendelrd.jpg

topotiffendelrd2.jpg

So on it was.. Up over the top of the mountains down the other side ….eventually we found a dingy little shop on the other side of the road across the river in another country….amazing to see we riding this side in SA that side of the stream is Lesotho!!!Lets just pop over for lunch… how cool is that and no paperwork!!!
crossinintolesotho.jpg

After a lunch of tin food and 1.5litre coke we headed off to Lundeans pass
Unfortunately Hoofseun got a puncture which set us back a little. But in no time we where on our way
lunchlesotho.jpg

lundeansneck.jpg

lundeansrd.jpg

Not much more to say after coming out from Lundeans pass we headed back on the tar reaching Senekal in the dark stayed at a B&B had Kentucky for supper and discussed our awesome trip around Lesotho

The last day was tar from Senekal home

Great way to run your bike in

Total distance 2200km
2 x GS Adventures (“Mother” and Skati )      Hoofseun (riding alone)
1x GS 650 Z riding her own bike (im always amazed this women has big balls)

Good company and good trip without any major incident is always a blessing
Thanks u guys