Lindley and surrounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushbaby

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi

I had a short run to a friend of mine this weekend who bought a house in Lindley in the Free Sate as a getaway from city life over weekends. We had lunch in the Lindley hotel on Saturday. The hotel was recently bought by a lady named Sandra and they are busy upgrading and renovating it. The hotel is very similar to the Memel hotel in appearance but just larger. It has a large centre court with rooms in the back in a horse shoe shape, but just double storey.

I came from JHB and went through Sasolburg to Heilbron and from Heibron took the gravel road leading directly to Lindley. The tar road takes you to Pertus Steyn and then on to Lindley. This however is a sin if you are on a GS adventure. :biggrin: The first few kilos were tar and then a nice gravel road that for long stretches turned into single lane through some nice areas and over small rivers and old steel bridges. The area is also steeped in boer war history as you pass the site of the battle of vegtkop on your way.

I did not have the chance to ride more roads in the area than this stretch but a map of the area and my friends knowledge of the area over the past 5 years suggest a large network of gravel roads between the farms and the other surrounding towns (Reitz, Edenburg, Bethlehem Koppies, Rosendal etc).

One can use the Hotel in Lindley as a base ( similar to Memel) and plan great day trips from there covering all the gravel roads.

Go check this out if you are thinking of going that way for a weekend.