Load shedding - excuse not to replace tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eberhard

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Moto Guzzi (all models)
Yesterday I took a front wheel, 2.50 x 18, to a local bike shop in Pretoria. The tyre was flat and I wanted a new tube put in. Three personnel behind the counter, including the manager. Nobody else in the shop. On hearing my request, they all examined the wheel with interest and with sorry faces informed that they can't do it that day. Load shedding. No power. They also didn't have power the previous day. Their machine with which they do, is obviously not working. I thanked them for their time and took the wheel back home. With limited experience (done it about 7 times before) and ordinary levers it took me 20 minutes to put a spare tube in and pump it manually to 2.5 bar. This includes checking the problem on the existing tube and inspecting the replacement tube for any leaks. Maybe they had sent the staff home doing these menial tasks, but that was not their explicit excuse, or they were just too blêrry sleg. Here was a paying customer, cash (is king I'm told) and visibly they had nothing else to do. With their experience and equipment it would have taken them less than 7 minutes? What has happened to the principle to serve customers, keep customers satisfied, winning customers and spreading a good name? We do not need your money and we are not prepared to work for your money, is that what they are saying?