Long, Fast & Lekker - 480 km's of Kzn heaven

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Badger

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I have been wanting to do a decent ride for a while covering a fair distance in one day.
I asked JonW and Outhere to help out with the route through their backyard as they know that area so well. Thanks Jon and Kevin.

After the mental weather we have been having here in Kzn I have been slightly worried about the ride and dirt conditions. What a lekker surprise to wake up to a glorious morning without a cloud in sight. There was just a bit of mist around but this was burned off soon.

Woke up at 04h15 and Fran and I rode out our yard on the Badger at 04h50. On my way we stopped at EzzBee’s place and collected him and his wife Mich on their  Ktm. We then met up with Lamo on his 1200GSA and Brendon on his 800.

We were to meet everyone at the  Shongweni Polo Pony garage at 5h20am on Sat morning.

We pulled into the garage and saw Kieth Yam 1200, Tim GS 650, Philgil Ten 660 and Navi on his 660. Nice group so we filled out ICE tags and gave them to Fran for safe keeping, had a little chat about the ride and then left for Ashburton to meet JonW and Offside and Johan.

After greeting and deciding that we could not have too many breaks and stops due to the distance we had to cover.

Outhere had put the route onto mapsource and it told him that this route would take 21hrs……. Yeeah right…..hahahaha

We headed  north on a nice dirt road that bypassed Pmb and came out on the Mountain Rise Rd and headed down to the Wartburg Rd then on to a D rd running next to the Duzi river. Bypassed Abert Falls on to a D rd at York and through some awesome Natal plantations up to the Karkloof Rd .

JonW took over there and led us on an awesome route up and over the Karkloof where we had our first rest stop. The most stunning area you can imagine. Saw an Otto midden wich was a good sign. Every one had something to snack and drink. Lamo’s nicely prepared saamies were all in a mess from the top box. We were not happy….hahahaha

Attachments

• IMG_6410.JPG
    IMG_6410.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_6412.JPG
    IMG_6412.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_6415.JPG
    IMG_6415.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_6420.JPG
    IMG_6420.JPG