Long Overdue "restoration" project report from 2016 - 2002 BMW F650GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi everybody, all this threads about man caves, handyman, projects etc reports reports made me go and scratch in my archives to find photo's of a 2002 BMW F650GS that I've took on as my first (basic) restoration project in 2016. Which started as only re-spraying the front forks ended up as almost a full rebuild.

I've bought the bike for the now ex-girlfriend as a bike for her to learn to ride on and as a little project to keep me busy. At that stage we were looking at something in the 250cc range for her to learn to ride on and then I stumbled on the gumtree advert for this bike for a very good price, roadworthy certificate and some extras like tools, tubes, homemade luggage racks with bags, spirit helmet jacket and gloves included. It was just a deal that I couldn't have walked away from. The seller just had the 50 000km service done at Donfords Cape Town that morning and had invoices for all the repairs and work done, like new brake pads fitted etc.

The ex immediately fell in love with "her" bike and we finalized the deal and were on our merry way home.

This will mostly be a photo restoration report, but I'm sure that you will get the idea that were done. I didn't touch the engine, because I believe that "jy krap nie waar dit nie jeuk nie"

The owner of the bike stayed in Milnerton and the bike had quite a bit of surface rust and mostly cosmetically issues, but the engine was purring like a little kitty. These rotax motors are bullet proof if well looked after.

Unfortunately I don't have very illustrative before photos to show the extent of the rust on the handlebars etc.

Please excuse my "deurmekaar" garage, at that stage I was renting and only had the one one garage with limited space and equipment to work with. Please don't laugh at my "boer maak 'n plan" attempts for a bike lift etc  :ricky: In the mean time We've bought a house and moved and at least I have more space to tackle new projects  :pot:. I might start a thread to keep record of all the little projects that I've done to the house......

Julle moet maar asb die boere engels verstaan.. ek probeer maar post dat die engels sprekende honde darem ook kan verstaan.

Attachments

• before_2.jpg
    before_2.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 254
  • before_3.jpg
    before_3.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 250
  • before_4.jpg
    before_4.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 249
  • before_5.jpg
    before_5.jpg