Long Trip, Flying damages and Heroes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Wanted to take a ride from Ellisras to Mossel Bay to go home for a week.
I have just had the bike re-sprayed and a good service (SO I thought) New tyres and chains etc.
Leaving Ellisras Early oclock on Thursday Morning, 50 kms outside town I got hit by something flying, I was riding into the sun and till now have no idea what I hit, suffice to say something big, well the screen disintegrated along with the visor and areotrim, with fairly good smack to the head, and cracked visor. Took a good twenty minutes looking for the bird and the bits of screen, which held my task disk, with no success.
Must  admit the front end of the bike was feeling a bit wobbly but I carried on regardless, just outside Klerksdorp the bike started losing power in a bad way, after an hour of stop starts and a lot of swearing I arrived in the suburbs where the bike decided ok I have enough unfortunately being in a dodgy part of town, and being fully loaded I didn't want to start stripping the bike with all the sticky fingers present.
I knew I had a fuel issue but I was,nt sure exactly what.
Posted on the Forum for some help within 10 minutes I had a call from Des and Jakes and with some calling around and a number of calls I  got the number for Klerksdorp Moto and Spoke to the main man Bue (Hope this is the right spelling) bearing in mind this was a public holiday “ No problem I will send a mechanic” sure enough 30 minutes later George pulls up, we load the bike and go to their workshops, there parts lady comes into open up……. And the strip begins, at 7.20 we call it a night and George drops me at a local Guest house up the road, 8.00 in the morning I was collected.
The filters had not been changed during the service and they had damaged the pump clips which had caused the pump to lose pressure, a number of other issues had been noted as well. I asked them to balance my front wheel as I mentioned it was a bit wobbly and I had asked when the tyres had been fitted for this to be done, “Worse balanced wheel I have seen” was comment made………. 180 grams of lead…… and low and behold one of the spacers was also missing……… wobbly front…..
The wheel and spacer replaced.
My comments
The forum, what can I say but thanks guys for the help and the rapid response.
Klerksdorp Moto SERVICE PROFFESIONAL and Thanks my bill which I will be sending to the Mechanic who “Serviced” my bike had no mention of Holiday hours etc…… all I can say I would use you guys like a shot if you were just a bit closer, thanks for the help, George you’re a star, service is still around and shining bright at Klerksdorp Moto.
I arrived ass sore at home after meeting a couple of dogs in Merringsport, safe and sound. I need a screen for the ride back on Saturday if anyone has any ideas?