Low quality SW Motech crashbar fastenings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoonless

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
Ok so whilst performing my Dooheckectomy under the expert guidance of Groenie (many many thanks) I noticed my crashbar was loose. I had had to remove the left crashbar to remove the left outer cover. I blamed this on poor servicing  by the nameless faceless bike servicers that I use.

Anyway, so I asked my buddy Glacier to help me get to the upper subframe bolts un annoying job that entails removing the seat side covers and shrouds.

Anyway it turns out that the bolt was not merely just not tightened but had completely sheared, the longer bolt is the one from the other side which also looks like it is taking strain.

The threaded section is happily embedded within the upper subframe bolt hole:

It turns out that the bushes provided by SWMotech do not fit the bolt holes correctly this places lateral strain on the bolts which combined with their poor strength and design flaw at the point where the thread ends cause the bolt to shear. The dodgy fitting of the bush is seen below.

Should have know bush would have been the problem...