Lowering 800GS - side stand question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanI

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Guys, I hope to get some good vice from someone who has done his before.

On Friday, my bike is going in to get a Hyperpro lowering kit (35mm) installed as my new 800 is just too tall for me. Since getting the bike, my plan has been to lower it, but I also know that I am changing the geometry with respect to how the bike sits on the side stand. Unlike with other more expensive kits, my side stand wont be modified as part of the fitment. I havnt been worried about this because my idea is to kill two birds with one stone. I have not fitted a side stand foot enlarger yet so my thinking is to cut off the bottom small plate from my side stand (or most probably a second hand older one) and once a small amount has been removed, weld on a larger flat plate to do the same job. I figure that the amount that is cut off has to be carefully calculated to maintain the normal lean angle when on the side stand.
So my questions are:

1. Has anyone out there faced the same problem after lowering their bikes?
2. Have you left the side stand as is or modified it?
3. If there is anyone out there who has modified a side stand, can you recommend a good engineering shop to do the job? (preferrably in Randburg or JHB north areas)
4. How much on the straight tube did you cut off?
5. Any other advice?

Many thanks
Ryan