Luggage and other discoveries on a Swazi trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparro

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Here's a piccy of the Tiger wearing its luggage high in the Mountains between Bulembu and Piggs peak.  The Trax boxes are seriously watertight and they dismount/mount very easy.  I carried about 30Kg extra weight and the Tiger didn't really feel any different on the technical stuff, just cranked up the preload to max on the rear. The boxes swallowed all my clothes, tools, spare tubes and full camping gear with only a small roll-up matress strapped to the pillion.  This is great because I could leave the bike unattended and not worry about stuff getting stolen from the bike - though this would never happen in Swazi, just in SA.

The Bike handled beautifully on the Karoos and even pouring rain on tar or dirt didn't faze them, but 2000km will finish them off on this bike, even nursing them.

Tigger did eventually develop the "no-idle" malady after several deep muddy watercrossings and extended riding on mucky wet dirt.  I eventually removed the tank (easy once you know how), cleaned the airfilter and sprayed the stepper motor mechanism with some switch-cleaner and voila - problem solved. I also found a way to sort this out without removing the tank, but something Triumph should look at dirtproofing more effectively.

The Motech centrestand clanking drove me nuts on dirt, eventually cable tied it to the pannier rack. I  also realised it needs wider footpegs for extended trail riding and I will get the gel seat for the long-hauls on the highway and sock for the shock as it dissappeared in mud after day one.

So after 2000km of all-surface riding, I can attest that this bike will go anywhere a KLR will go - perhaps with a bit more weight but in much more comfort.

Attachments

• smallDSCN0368.jpg
    smallDSCN0368.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 311
  • P1000812small.jpg
    P1000812small.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 312