Marico memoirs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaalseun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
One event that is permanently in my calendar is the annual Groot Marico Safari Carnaval, which is actually the church bazaar for the local Reformed church. Now, I’m not really fond of church bazaars, but this is one with a difference. It’s actually a bosveld kuier, more than a church bazaar. It normally falls somewhere in June, and one has to consult Google to get the final date closer to the time. This year however fellow dog Thys Basson alerted us in the “Planning a Ride” board.

Anyway, I left Alberton at around 06:30 with the brave Mrs. Vaalseun riding shotgun. To save time we took a shortcut through Lenasia, where the temperature was -3 degrees. First stop had to be the Wimpy at Magaliesburg where we had a quick brekkie, from there to Koster and then we took the dirt road from Koster direction Zeerust. 

At several places along the road fountains opened up due to the good summer rains. This invariably results in some wet areas, despite the surrounding areas being bone dry. At one of these spots I took a wrong line and Mrs. Vaalseun enjoyed her first off. Apart from a broken side mirror and a bruised ego, there was no further damage.

At the next wet spot this unfortunate bus driver got stuck, down to the axle. We managed to squeeze past him, got stuck in the mud ourselves, managed to pull the bike out again with the help of the driver and his helper, and eventually we were on our way again.

After dropping the kit off at our overnight spot, we proceeded to the grounds. As we rode in, fellow dog Thys Basson and his son were just leaving on his yellow 1200. We agreed beforehand to meet, but we were running quite late. Anyhow, we managed to shake paws and briefly share some stories. Thanks Thys for looking out for us.

The pictures say it all.

We slept at the Riverstill Guest farm, which is probably the best overnight place in the valley. It’s on the banks of the Groot Marico river with it’s crystal clear water. I was told the eye that feeds the river produces water at a rate of 3 cubic meter per second. One can quite believe that if you see how strong the river flows.

Unfortunately the whole area is under threat from plans by a mining company that wants to conduct open-cast nickel mining. This will be a great shame, as the Marico will never be the same again. Consider adding your name to a petition which is organized by the very concerned and upset local community: https://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/save-the-groot-marico-river/ 

The hot water system required a substantial fire, which was made by the friendly caretaker Abraham. He also offered to light the fire early the next morning, but as the night progressed we could hear the shouting (read: dronkverdriet) from the direction of his house. Needless to say, there was no hot water in the morning.

Enjoying an early morning cup of coffee and some rusks which we bought the previous day.

Before our departure Mrs. Vaalseun opened the piano in the voorkamer and insisted on entertaining me with a piece from “Il mio vecchio cavallo” which is also more affectionately known as “Ou Ryperd”.

Before hitting the road back, we had a nice brunch in Marico where we bumped into the legendary Egbert van Bart. Some people refer to him as the modern day Oom Schalk Lourens, while others reckon he is the seer of Marico. Although he may have the appearance of a backvelder, he is a very intelligent and caring person, renowned artist and nature lover with a deep passion for the Groot Marico and it’s people. Together with his wife Santa, they run the information centre in town where amongst other things they collect stories from the few remaining characters in the district.

Another character is this old man who told me that he once owned a Triumph with which he toured through England. “Ek kom van Swede af, hiernatoe op ‘n konstruksie kontrak. Nou’s ek hier. Ek verkoop erdwurms aan die mense wat kom visvang”.

As you ride around the town and in the area, you can not but help to wonder what it was like in the old days. Although Bosman’s characters were fictional, I could not help wondering if this could have been the house of oom Schalk Lourens.

And could this perhaps be Abjaterskop?

The ride home was uneventful, but the memories of a wonderful weekend still lingers.