Miles, Niekie take the Vark Boer on a ride of note!!!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Well the trip was done without incident, Friday afternoon myself, Niekie and Willie (NieKie's son 10 years old) rode to Tuli's farm (Vark Boer) 50km from Bethlehem. We were welcomed by Tuli, Carene and DeonDJ .
HentiBM arrived with his wife (DeonDJ had to leave for his son's birthday) we had a great night again with Carene's cooking, but the "Braai'er" was done by Niekie this time, so Tuli you now have a braai team. Tuli's place is well equiped and a good stopover place for adventure riders.
Saturday morning we left at 7am for Fouriesburg border post.
April09-Fouriesburg.jpg

April09-Fouriesburg1.jpg

At the Lesotho side of the border we have the same difficult "cow" that gave us problems on the FS Bash, we wasted almost 1 hour trying to get through, but eventually we got on our way without stamping Niekie's passport (long story)
April09-lesothoBorder.jpg

past Moteng pass and Afriski.
April09-SaniPass013.jpg

April09-Afi-Ski.jpg

Past the Diamond Mine, the road here is tar but the worst I have seen, at some stages we only managed 20km/h, we stoped in Mokhotlong to put on our rain gear as the heavens opened on us.
April09-SaniPass018.jpg

April09-SaniPass020.jpg

April09-SaniPass021.jpg

Then the dirt section started, lekker at last. saw quite a few bikes along this route.
April09-Startofdirtsection.jpg

April09-Startofdirtsection1.jpg

Then it was up and over Black Mountain in the rain and the temperature had now dropped to 2deg. on my bike computer.
April09-BlackMountain-Lesotho.jpg

April09-Blackmountainbottom.jpg

We arrived at Sani Top at 2-30pm and went straight into the Pub to warm up, it was raining hard outside.
April09-SaniPassPub.jpg

April09-SaniPassViewfromPub.jpg

April09-SaniPass036.jpg

After some coffe and a good meal, (Service was very good and fast) we prepaired ouselves mentally for the ride down a wet pass, mommmy!!
April09-SaniPass040.jpg

April09-SaniPasstop-nervous.jpg

April09-SaniPassstart.jpg

April09-SaniPassViewfromtop.jpg

April09-SaniPassviewlookingup.jpg

April09-SaniPassviewlookingdown.jpg

April09-SaniPass047.jpg

April09-SaniPass050.jpg

April09-SaniPass048.jpg

April09-SaniPass051.jpg

We all made it to the bottom without incident, but wow "what a rush"
April09-SaniPass052.jpg

We then rode through Underberg to our accommodation for the night 17km from underburg is the guest farm called Stoneyhall run by Ivan and Santie Perkins which was fantastic and we will be back, contact them at 082 721 4551.
Distance for the day was over 400km and we arrived in the dark.
April09-Stoneyhallentrancegate.jpg

April09-Cottage.jpg

April09-StoneyhallCottages.jpg

April09-StoneyhallCottages.jpg

April09-Stoneyhallcottage.jpg

April09-StoneyhallCottagesview.jpg

On Sunday we went exploring up to Bulwer then right off onto the dirt did a big loop, past Arai Pass back down to Richmond.
April09-AraiPass.jpg

April09-AraiPasswaterfall.jpg

Tuli used most of the stops to take photo's enjoy the views and support his small smoking habit.
April09-SaniPass068.jpg

In Richmond the rain came down in buckets so we spent time at the local KFC having lunch and waiting for the rain to move on, the music was terrible so we moved on, started our ride up Helle Hella Pass.
April09-StartofHelleHellaPass.jpg

April09-StartofHelleHella1.jpg

April09-HelleLellaPassroad.jpg

April09-HelleHellaview.jpg

April09-HelleHellaView1.jpg

April09-ViewontopofHelleHellaPass.jpg

Then back to the same farm, a great place to have our base and explore the area, distance for the day 295km. We will all be back here again one day. Well recommended to all WD's.
April09-StoneyhallCottageview.jpg

Monday we packed said goodbuy and rode to Mooiriver, but went the long way round past Lotteni also well recommeded easy ride and very senic, saw Sani from the distance "Wow we did that??".
April09-SaniPassView.jpg

April09-SaniPassView1.jpg

April09-RoadtoLotteni.jpg

April09-NearLotteni.jpg

We rode through the kamberg reserve and on to Mooiriver, this trip took 3 hours but was great, after some lunch in Mooiriver we joined the N3 and headed for home.
One of my first long trips and won't be my last, we all enjoyed the whole weekend, it was fantastic.
Trusting all this comes out well.