Misfiring on top half of throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genl.Dreyer

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Hi Dogs.

I hope someone could help me with a problem I have on my 2008 R1200GSA.

Just returned from an awesome Lesotho and Transkei trip. At Mohale Dam I had a nasty side stand incident that claimed my left mirror and screen. The bike tipped over and took quite a hard fall on the left crashbar on the tarmac, the screen being destroyed by the road barrier.

After the fall the engine had a very distinct misfire from about 50% throttle upwards, depending on which gear engaged and the load on the engine. Initially we figured it had to do with the high altitude, but the misfire persists even back home in Cape Town.

The engine runs fine in the lower half of the throttle...I drove it from Mohale back home like this. Its quite irritating when one wants to accelerate to overtake and it starts missing as you open up.

I suspect that the throttle bodies are not fueling the engine equally above ~50% throttle, or it is an electronic / engine map issue.

Anyone that can enlighten me on this before I take it to BMW?? Much appreciated!