Mogas Airhead rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogas

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250L
Well here goes, I have started on the long restoration road.
I recently found this https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=106713.0
Still not fully decided what will be done with it in the end but it will not be standard.
It may be a Bobber, or a flat tracker, or maybe even another old style scrambler. I like them all.
The teardown has begun.
Most of the stuff is off the frame now, tranny out, motor out.
There was a cross threaded sparkplug, no biggy, I just ran a tap through from the inside out when I got the head off.
I spent some of yesterday and most of today just opening the gearbox.
I made a lever to hold the drive plate while I turned the nut off the shaft. No problems.
I drilled two holes on the other end of the lever to pop the drive plate off, fail, it was too soft and just bent.
Then I milled some 16mm square bar to make a stronger puller, also bent.
The output drive plate was VAS on the tapered shaft.
In between I tried heat cycling the DP with my heat gun and renewing the pool of spook pis I had in there from the night before.
Nothing.
Finally I made some new "claws" for a bigger 2 jaw puller using 50x50 angle iron and bolting that to all 4 holes on the DP.
Lots of torque on there with a power bar and still nothing.
Out with the acetylene welding set.
I trashed the seal but the DP finally popped off after some solid hammering.
Interestingly the nut was not as tight as I expected it would be and there was no corrosion on the taper surfaces but man that thing was on there tight.

Attachments

• R100S.jpg
    R100S.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 606
  • puller2.jpg
    puller2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 611
  • Puller.jpg
    Puller.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 604
  • Mill.jpg
    Mill.jpg