Moordenaars-Karoo Gala. Finished finally!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
This trip happened last year in March. Got a few friends together. Ten people, nine bikes lots of mud and rain.
vandag037.jpg

On the way to Laingsburg. To the right of pic should be Ettiennes farm.
vandag036.jpg

vandag039.jpg

First dust after Laingsburg. Also the last we will see for the weekend.
vandag118.jpg

vandag043.jpg

First crossing. It was fun and not too bad.
vandag044.jpg

Had a laugh afterwards.
vandag046.jpg

My first trip on the ADV. My best mate on my righthandside!
vandag048.jpg

vandag049.jpg

Evert getting stuck in the mud. Some pushing and a stinking clutch and he was out.
vandag050.jpg

vandag051.jpg

vandag045-1.jpg

Dawies delivery AT. Bike has done 96 000 kms of hard farmlife and trips. No hazzles until later.
vandag054.jpg

We watched this dry little river become a wild river. And it started RAINING!!
vandag057.jpg

vandag059.jpg

vandag058.jpg

When we started to ride again Dawies AT wanted to rest a bit. I sent the rest of the group with Krisjan to Sutherland. Half an hour later we had the Twin going. Loose wire. With heavy right hands we caught up with the group. By now we were wet to the skin.
vandag061.jpg

The group ahead while we were trying to fix the AT.
vandag063.jpg

vandag064.jpg

vandag065.jpg

These last pics needs no explaining. It was wet and so were we. We rode in a thunderstorm for about 6o kms. Luckily it was not too cold.
vandag067.jpg

vandag068.jpg

vandag069.jpg

Frans at the tar 1200GS.
vandag070.jpg

Louis Santana. First Transalp 700 Ive seen. Were very impressed as the bike had Anakees on.Did very well in the mud.
vandag071.jpg

We filled up in Sutherland and 40 kms later we got blocked by this river. Dawie jumped it through with the AT but he did float for a few seconds before getting grip on the other side. Must have been his coolerbox that kept him afloat.
vandag073.jpg

Farmer where we stayed picked most of us up and three stayed behind. We waited an hour and a half before we could take the bikes through. Biggest problem with the little river was the speed it was running. It came strait out of the mountains with speed.
vandag076.jpg

Some clothesdrying was happening inside.
vandag088.jpg

And some meat braaiing outside. Some good stories were told around the fire.
vandag078.jpg

Krisjan.
vandag079-1.jpg

Dawie. These to brothers farm in the Moordenaars-Karoo. What a tread to have them on a trip. A laugh a minute.
vandag089.jpg

Wet and misty the next morning.
vandag092.jpg

The roads have dried a bit overnight. We could not go home via Oubergpas because the rivers were all in flood. So we went back to Sutherland.
vandag094.jpg

vandag101.jpg

Ma se klein donkietjie behind the "Interlink" my nickname for the ADV.
vandag108.jpg

Back in Sutherland. From here we took tar to just before Matjiesfontein and turned left to Laingsburg on dirt. The guys from Mosselbay took Seweweekspoort back home. It was a great weekend with great people.