Mothers version of the Cape trip with Newbies...Turtle and Spud

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mother

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Mothers Quick version....

It all came together very quickly for me and Spud….Turtle had planned the trip months ago …His Boet was getting married in Cape Town and he decided his missus can take the suite he taking the bike…..my man….
He hounded me for ages to join…but I was doing the Harley thing to Oudshoorn and the Cape a few weeks earlier………mmmmmm that changed when I walked in to my favourite dealer in the East and a deal was done on a new Geel GSA….man now I had to go ride….a few calls later and Spud was also in and Turtle was happy to have company

We all agreed to meet at Senekal as we where coming in from different directions and an early start was required for us to meet up with Barry at Gariep Dam who was working....Ag shame man.... and on a country trip…so nice of him to organise the braai and booze and a leka bungalow for us all to share

We went from Senekal to Ladybrand/Wepner/Smithfield via leka gravel then Betulie and Venterstad then on to the dam

Bethulie... note the long bridge in the back ground

betulie.jpg

First night fever at Gariep

bungalowgariep-1.jpg

First day fever was great and we had a leka party that night in the bungalow…drinking braaing and talking lots of kak till the wee hrs

Next day we headed off to Cradock making our way to the coast…at Hoffmeyer Spud agreed to split with us as we intended to do some gravel via the R337 to Somerset East and Spud being a novice wanted to go the quick way to the coast on tar….

The R337 nice piece of gravel….really scenic piece of gravel….

R337.jpg

We ended up in Pearston for some droe vors really nice…then back tracked to Somerset east hotel for some refreshments before heading down to PE then on to Jeffrey’s Bay for the evening...........

Refreshments in Somerset East Hotel

pub.jpg

Turtle had to go down just before JBay when we went to skwizz the Storms river bridge from closer....and i snapped him first as is the rule before helping him up

down.jpg

Nice thing about Spud going on before us …he got tasked to arrange accommodation and get the food and drink sorted and he did this outstandingly….then after all he was once a Catering manager….hahahaha

Having a jol at the Savoy in J Bay

blastatsavoyjaybay.jpg

The following day after nearly an all nighters we headed off to the Baviaans….leaving Spud in the hotel to recover from the previous nights antics….the plan to meet in George him via the coast when he eventually got up and Turtle and me via Baviaans
Once again Spud was tasked with accommodation food and drink…..nice arrangement we had

Baviaans

baviaans.jpg

grantbaviaans.jpg

waterhole.jpg

nice2baviaans.jpg

nicebaviaanspic-1.jpg

Baviaans first time for Turtle and second for me…..really don’t know why we took so long to see this awesome part of our country….don’t make the same mistake we did…Go its breathtaking for sure!!!!

I was in the Baviaans in December and counted only 11 or so  little water crossings…the region was really going through a serious drought and now in March it was even worse ….

It was a nice “warm” day in the Baviaans with not much water in site and the only incident was at the gate before u leave the reserve I lost my footing and put my Gs on the ground…needless to say I had to wait for Turtle to get the shot before I picked it up

gsonground.jpg

Montagu pass just before George

outeniquapass.jpg

Any way it was a long day but we finally caught up with Spud vegetating in George having sorted us with a nice bungalow…..looked like we where not going to tent this trip…didn’t really bother me much I must say

My brand new Karoo rear tyre was finished by the time we hit George so I quickly had it replaced at the dealer in town…..thanks to ChrisL for directions and advice and talking about ChrisL we had planned to pop in by him and his missus to say hi as we where going right past their spot …..Besides…. always nice to see the wild dogs we chat to on the forum…..Chris thanks again to u and wifey for the koek en coffee and my new tyre pump (still haven’t tried it out yet)

ChrisL took us for a spin through Stilbaai then for an outride towards the Malgas Pont where we were headed

Saying cheers to ChrisL

cheerstochrisl-1.jpg

Malgas Pont

pont.jpg

From Malgas we headed to Agulhas this time all of us together and eventually found a B&B to crash for the night….that night we all had a moer of a party at a local little pub/restaurant as the next day we where splitting with Spud as he only had the week off and wasn’t as fortunate as us…..who said life is fair

jolinapubaugulas.jpg

Next day we said our good byes and headed off Turtle and me to Cape Town and Spud back to Standerton

agulaspoint.jpg

capecoast.jpg

The weekend was spent with Turtle doing the family/wedding thing and me catching up with mates in CT

Monday came too soon and Turtle and I met up at the toll just before the tunnel to head back home via Ceres/Sutherland/Fraserburg and sleeping in Carnarvon that night

fraserburg.jpg

turntocarnarvon.jpg

wetkaroo.jpg

Monday
A moer of a hot day it turned out to be with temp of 40 to 43 degree…then ….Along the road to Sutherland probably around 50km away from the town…I stopped to take some pics and wait for Turtle to catch up…..just as well….so he says to me not getting off the bike….”duz my rear look flat??”…”I heard a popping sound about 5km back when I hit a wash”  me looking at his bike…..”nope no flat….but wheres ur kit china”….hahahahahaha
It was pretty funny seeing the straps dragging behind his bike….then again im a sic Mother….

Should have seen it coming....

grantluggage.jpg

grantluggageontheground.jpg

repack.jpg

40degree.jpg

That night we stayed at the Carnarvon hotel....interestingly management insisted we park inside!!!

carnarvon.jpg

By Tuesday we decided not to pussy foot back to Gauteng so we made a sprint for home via Vosburg and Kimberly and I got home to Pretoria by 8pm

homefinally.jpg

What a leka ride….we did something like 4300km….thanks again to Spud/Turtle what a jol