Motorcycle as sole mode of transport - am I going nuts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie600

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Dear Dogs (my first post on the forum and as such a heartfelt good day to thee!) ;D

I've been out of the biking fraternity for approximately 4 years and decided that it's time to join again.

We're staying in Centurion and our office park is just off New Road which amounts to approximately 30 km per day.

I currently have a Golf 7 GTI but believe that it will be a waste to have the car parked in the garage for 99.9% of the time seeing that I want to buy a new R 1200 GS to use as my daily mode of transport, whilst my wife's car will be used for holidays, shopping trips (yippee, no more shopping for me!!) and so forth. The other option was to keep my car and buy the F 800 GS but I really do want the 1200, especially when touring 2 up etc.

I'm as such toying with the idea of gettign rid of my car and instead only use the bike but I'm concerned that I might perceive it as a novel idea at this point in time, only to regret it 12 months down the line.

Are any of you willingly using a motorcycle as their only mode of transport and if so, what are the good, bad & ugly that I need to prepare / watch out for?

Thanks in advance for all the comments, suggestions and general discussion(s) that I do hope will follow.

Latest posts