My 2010 Project Bike - The Southern CR - SADLY NO MORE!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berm_Rooster

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
My last project bike was a 1969 Vespa. I finished it approximately a year ago and you can read about it here.

I recently acquired a ’99 CR500R, the original Monster! The feared Widowmaker. The sound of which will loosen children’s bowels and cause the elderly to involuntarily spit out their dentures.

So here my project for the year starts. In the Vespa thread I had the job completed when I made the thread, this time it will be ‘Post as you Go’.

Chapter 1 – The Stripdown

Last night I lost myself in the garage for a couple of hours. One thing I have to say about a plastic is that it is super simple to work on. For the stripdown as pictured below I only used 10 and 8 sockets. And a Phillips for the hose clamps.

The official ‘BEFORE PHOTO’.

cr500r1.jpg

Slightly cracked header.

cr500r2.jpg

Slightly chafed swingarm.

cr500r3.jpg

Some other random pics.

cr500r4.jpg

cr500r5.jpg

cr500r6.jpg

cr500r7.jpg

cr500r8.jpg

cr500r9.jpg

cr500r10.jpg

cr500r12.jpg

cr500r13.jpg

Thus far, I have learnt the following:
  • Cracked header
  • Gaskets needed allover. Case, Carb (incl all the seals)
  • Cylinder doesn’t look too bad through the zorst port, but I think I am going to ream and install ring (as a minimum).
  • Frame looks relatively good, but I am considering a fresh powdercoat. What do you think?

Parts list so far:
  • Chain guide plastic insert
  • Chain slider
  • Rear internal mudflap
  • Set of new grips
  • Front brake lever
  • Glutch lever incl. perch
  • Clutch cable
  • Some sort of header pipe protection
  • Sparkplug
  • Ring

For the immediate future I will continue to take it apart and make the call on whether I need to powdercoat the frame. I don’t like the rusty slurrey that came out of the cooling system, so I think I wall take it all for an acid bath at a radiator shoppe. I will have to take the head and barrel off to make a call on the sleeve and piston. Plastics are all good, but faded, so I will do the sanding paper & heatgun trick.

I am also posting this on another forum here. I need as much assistance as I can get, so please share your wisdom, comments, tips, advice, concerns and guidance with me.

I plan to use the bike as a plaything, because I find that I am subjecting my HP2 to too much abuse wheelying, powerlsiding and all the rest. It will be my “morsbike” like my SWAMBO said…

"Baby, ek het vir my nog n bike gekoop..." :'(
"Watse Bike?!"  :dousing:
"Daai een van *Koos, die arme ou het geld nodig toe dog ek ek help hom uit..."  ::)
"Is dit n Morsbike?!" :deal:
"Haha, ja my engel..."  :p