My 800GS and 990 Adv Comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huggels

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
My Comparison

First of all thank you Stoetbul. Jy het vrek baie gehelp ek waardeer dit baie en sal enige tyd weer iets by jou koop en n bier drink en kak praat.  :thumleft:

Okay so im not going to try and bash one brand against another, I simply want to give my personal opinion and experience thus far having owned the 800 and now a 990. Please feel free to disagree with my opinion it is actually what the forum is all about or not?

Sorry that I only took one pic we were standing still on the N3... Too much fun riding this demon  >:D
Ontheway.jpg

I got the bike on Wednesday evening Stoetbul dropped it of for me at KTM in Cape Town… Thanks allot

So we did a 660km trip on Saturday on tar simply cause we wanted to go by bike.  Sunday we did a lekker technical ride with sand, rocks and single track.

Tar Ride
I was immediately impressed with how lite the bike felt it was nimble and much more centred. For instance when standing at a traffic light with the 800 I felt really uncomfortable if I only had one leg out. Im quiet a tall guy 1,9m and weigh over 100kg. With the 990 it felt like I was back on my scrambler on the 800 it felt like is was gonna fall over if I moved a little too one side… :peepwall:
Maybe I was a noob on the 800 but the point is such a small thing impressed me immediately.
The seat I have on is the 990S one which I prefer for offroad purposes but after 200km my arse was numb.
Acceleration can only be described as mind blowing with effortless power this puppy puts a smile on your face with a little twist of the throttle :biggrin: I couldn’t stop blipping the throttle at stop streets and traffic lights simply because it felt Faaaarking awesome!!! >:D

With little effort I reached 180km/h litterally shitting myself with how easily the bike did it.
At around 6000rpm’s the mirrors vibrate so much that I could only see the light of my mates 950 behind me.
My normal cruizing speed on tar is 140km/h I hate tar riding but it was hard to keep this beast under 150km/h. The stock screen had very good wind protection and really only became an issue over the 140km/h mark for me personally.
Consumption can only be described as insane but then again I wasn’t exactly doing the speed limit and who cares your are on a DS bike that’s like a superbike. :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offroad
Sunday we went for a short technical ride on a mates farm. We had our first little challenge with a deepish water crossing and the bikes dug themselves in to the sand. We dug them out and dug out big rocks to get more traction faark I was nackered... Gotta stop smoking!! I reckon the 800 would have performed better at lower rpm’s but it also has allot to do with the rider and rider experience.  8)
Also the twitchy throttle can become a hand full on technical areas such as rocky declines or inclines but this doesn’t really bother me.

When we hit the single track the bike came into its own eating the rocks and spitting them out >:D  Faark I took some jumps that would have castrated me had I have done it with my 800 :imaposer: I never felt so comfortable standing on a bike as the 990, it creates allot of confidence pushing you harder. There were a few times were I shat myself coming way to fast into corners underestimating the rapid acceleration. This bike wants to be ridden hard!!! >:D

Good points
Lite on fuel
Comfortable
Good looking bike
Great on tar

Bad Points
Hard seat (doesn’t bother me)
Poor suspension offroad
Crap wind protection
Pricy if you consider all the things you need changed and fitted to match a KTM  :pot:
Crap centre of gravity

Good Points
Awesome suspension
Great centre of gravity
Awesome standing position
Mind blowing power delivery

Bad points
Hard seat (doesn’t bother me)
Twitchy throttle
Mirrors vibrate over 6000 rpm’s
BMW okes don’t wave back  :ricky: