My Buff '07

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperJuice

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
New Hudson (all models)
Having had my GS for only a couple of months I planned for my first real long distance trip to be the Buff. I booked my leave early, made plans with my fellow riders and we decided to head off on Thursday afternoon, haul to Masselspoort where we would spend the night and travel down to Mossel Bay on the Friday while trying to do as much gravel and scenic routes as possible.

Accomodation was booked in Masselspoort and we decided to meet at 15:45 and be on the N1 by 16:00.

What we didn't take into account is Joey's crazy traffic in the afternoon especially heading south along through the Crown interchange. Things were going slowly and lane splitting with saddle bags and kit was fun but demanding. The traffic died down eventually once we got onto the N1 and from there it was a fight against the light.

We took our first ciggy break just before the Vaal river.

My pig.

DSC004371024x768.jpg

A mate of mine's (Alex) '96 R1100GS (Redbaron 01)

DSC004381024x768.jpg

Back on our bikes and with light fading fast we decided to push. As the light diminished and dusk fell Alex realised his indicators and lights weren't working yet the brake light still was!

We still had around 200km's to do in the dark and I led with Alex shadowing me and Nic behind wedging Alex in. This was not ideal and the most difficult and dangerous aspect was overtaking. We made our way as best we could and refueled at Ventersburg.

While filling up we made a call to look at accomodation in Ventersburg or haul out to Winburg and spend the night there. We were led to the Ventersburg hotel and thought we'd decide over a frosty beer.

DSC004481024x768.jpg

After inquiring into availability of rooms we decided to stay and wake up before sparrow's fart and make our way down. We had a quick shower, got out of our riding gear and enjoyed some more beer and a chat with some die hard locals.

DSC004441024x768.jpg

DSC004511024x768.jpg

Waking up earliest I headed off to Nic's room to wake him up only to find his room in a complete mess, looking more like a warzone than a hotel room. He had got pretty hammered the night before on double Brandewyn and coke on special for R10 and further evidence sugested he got a litte more hammered than we thought.

His bathroom was the wost hit and it seems his conversation with the big white telephone extended to the bath. When I asked Nic wtf happened to the curtains he couldn't remember and I can only assume it was a violent conversation... :roll:

DSCF03681024x768.jpg

After laughing for a good 10 minutes, we packed and got on the road as the sun was coming up. We decided to haul to Bloem and visit Speed Bike to try ascertain why Alex had no lights or indicators but his brake lights worked.

Early morning ciggy break just before Bloem.

DSC004601024x768.jpg

We found Speed Bike and tested the circuits there was no power running to 2 of the fuses and we were advised it's most likely a wiring issue. So we decided to haul as much tar as we could in the morning so we could hit some gravel and scenic routes in the afternoon.

Just before Colseburg, after every truck, car, bakkie and minibus flashing their brights at us we came up a hill to find some SpietKops waiting. They pulled us over and asked if we were heading to Mossel Bay. We nodded, presented our licences (those that had theirs with them) and stood aside while the impeccably dressed SpieKops scrutinised our bikes.

Nic didn't have his driving (or is that riding) license on him so he headed across the road to get his fine. Funny thing is he didn't have his plate on either it was in the back of his Travel Bag, but he whipped it out and showed the kop and he didn't seem fazed... :shock:

Alex got nailed for not having an SABS sticker on his plate and also proceeded to collect his fine.

DSC004621024x768.jpg

I was the only one to get off without being nailed. :wink:

We stopped in Colesburg to get some lunch and fill the pigs and decided to take the N9 down to Graaff-Reinet and decided our route from there.

DSC004651024x768.jpg

The roads were nice and quiet and we really enjoyed Lootsberg and Naude's Passes. We stopped to consult the map and have a ciggy and see where we could get on some gravel and start some real riding.

DSC004661024x768.jpg

We decided to branch off on gravel from Graaff-Reinet. Just before we reached Graafies, we saw the Agava factory and could not miss a quick visit after seeing the sign 'Now open for tasting'.

After going through the gate, there's alot of loose white stone leading up to the entrance and having done off road riding for a while I knew this stuff bites you quickly so I idled through it. Nic on the other hand took no notice and continued to maintain his current pace only to end up dropping the bike as the front wheel just washed away while he was trying to do a gentle turn.

Alex and I laughed uncontrollably (under our helmets of course) and once we were able to hold back the laughter we helped Nic up and accessed the damage.

DSC004711024x768.jpg

EINA! One scratched 36L Kaoko Tank with custom paint job and broken left indicator...

DSC004691024x768.jpg

We did a tour of the factory and tasted some of the Agava. (it's Tequila, they just can't call it that)

DSC004721024x768.jpg

DSC004731024x768.jpg

Most of their 'tequila' gets exported and SA is the only country outside of Mexico to produce tequila.

Making our way into Graafies we decided to take gravel through to Klipplaat via Kendrew, Aberdeen Road and Oatlands.

Having a ciggy before we hit some real roads!

DSC004741024x768.jpg

The 'gravel highway'

DSC004771024x768.jpg

Me ready to roll again!

DSCF03691024x768.jpg

Stopping for some 'refreshment' and yes you guessed it, a ciggy.

DSC004811024x768.jpg

Beautiful scenery

DSC004831024x768.jpg

Unfortunately we took the wrong turn at a small farm intersection and found ourselves on the R337 and headed on to Jansenville then to Staytlerville. I then also realised I left one of my zips open on my pants and my cell phone went missing... :(

DSC004821024x768.jpg

Baviaanskloofberge with the famous Baviaanskloof behind them.

DSC004781024x768.jpg

From Staytlerville, we hit the concrete strip known as the R329 and battled with the sun setting directly in front of us for most of the road.

DSC004841024x768.jpg

From there we had to push on and I didn't take many pics. We hit Willowmore and got back onto the N9 riding at night again having to wedge Alex in who still didn't have lights. Stopped for a ciggy in Uniondale and made our way to George. We eventually arrived in MosselBay and at the Buff at 21:45.

The rest of the night was a blur as we consumed great amounts of alcohol while trying to work out how the hell it took us so long. The ride down was filled with great sights, gravel roads and excellent company. We weren't fazed about arriving late. We set up our tents with the Pielkoppe.

Waking up on Sat morn and not having seen much of the camp due to only arriving there at night we awoke to this sight

DSCF03831024x768.jpg

We decided to see if we could find an auto electrician to check out Alex's 1100.

DSCF03871024x768.jpg

Saturday also flashed by and saw us replacing Alex's starter motor with a spare brought by Dan who's the head of the Koppe and rides this immacualte R80GS. At the same time we found the culprit of the malfunctioning lights. The connector wire which attached to the starter motor.

DSCF03851024x768.jpg

I didn't take many pics except of this homemade V6, 4.7L 'bike'

DSC004871024x768.jpg

We planned our route for Sunday, packed up and headed out towards Knysna. From Knysna we took the R339 through the Titzikama. One of the most beautiful roads I have ever been on whether it be on a bike or a car.

We found a track heading up to a look out point and made our way to the top.

DSC004981024x768.jpg

The view

DSC005001024x768.jpg

DSC005011024x768.jpg

DSCF03931024x768.jpg

From there Prince Alfreds pass awaited us...

DSC005031024x768.jpg

DSC005041024x768.jpg

Once in Uniondale we filled up and made our way to a friends farm just outside Steytlerville.

DSC005101024x768.jpg

DSC005111024x768.jpg

DSC005121024x768.jpg

They've had a lot of rain in the E Cape and the roads were pretty bad in some areas. Erosion had washed away alot of the ground from the concrete water ways and hitting a pothole at 130km/h head on tends to bottom out your front and read shocks as well as dent rims. :oops:

DSC005151024x768.jpg

We spend the night on the farm and got an early night as we had some distance to cover to be back in Joey's on Monday night.

Alex's brother Nic was heading home to PE and we were off to Mount Steward, Klipplaat, Oatlands, Aberedeen Road, and eventually Aberdeen and back onto the N9 home.

DSC005171024x768.jpg

We eventually rolled into Joey's at 17:45 and to the Jolly Roger for a well deserved frosty!

A total of 2860km's later and with many fond memories of my first Buff I slept like a baby and enjoyed Tuesday and Wednesday off. See you at Buff 08.

PS. Was good meeting Kilroy and LuckyStriker. Herman I looked for you all over and went past your campsite twice. Jammer ek het jou nie gevind nie maat!