My wife's 650 Sertao thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlomC

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi Guys,

New to the 650 family...Me wife has a 650 Sertao (2012) so I'm only starting to do stuff like maintenance now.
I thought I will not post and ask silly questions, because everything should be here somewhere already...so I've read a lot between yesterday and today...I do however have a few questions  :peepwall:

Two days ago, I replaced my wife's handlebars on the 650 Sertao with Pro Taper bars...was nice and easy - they really look excellent!! The heated grips' wires runs along the bars on the outside, so no drilling a hole was required. Also, some of the instruments has locating pins (plastic & bronze) so I just cut and filed them off. Will post a pick when I can...

Yesterday I replaced the oil and filter as well as the air filter (gave it a basic service) - my question here is, to do the spark plug, must it be done from the top by removing all the air box and batteries and stuff or can it be done from the side?

I can't really find a lot of information on the 2012 Sertao, like a service/workshop manual..all info seems to be on previous year models...they are more or less the same, but there are definitely some differences.

Then I took it for a test drive in the parking area of our complex...I struggled my ass off to keep the bike up straight - it fell so badly to the sides - I believe this is the steering head bearings which are shot...I'll try to check and make 100% sure (haven't checked for notches and so on)...will do tonight. Is there anyone who can help me to replace them on Friday night (normally I'll do it myself, but I've got a long boring reason why this time I need help from someone who has done it before to get it done QUICKER...) I can go and source all the parts tomorrow and/or Friday...

And then tyres...eish...I'm gonna try the Michellin T63.

But for now, the steering head bearings are worrying me... :dontknow: not lekker at all to ride like that