Namibia and Botswana: Advice please!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZS2BZ

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
A mate and I are planning to travel through Namibia, the Caprivi and Botswana during August 2011.
We are both on fully kitted XT1200Z Super Tenere’s .

The planned route starts at Noordoewer, through to Aus on the C13, and from there to Luderitz via the B4. From what I can see this route follows the Fish river canyon, and is mostly gravel.

From Luderitz we head back to Aus and then take the C13 to Helmeringshausen, and then the C14 all the way up to Walvis. This is about 600km of gravel.

From Walvis we make a stop in Swakopmund and then head to Windhoek on the C28.

From Windhoek we head North on the B1 through Okahandja, Otjiwarongo, Otavi, Grootfontein and then on to Rundu.

From Rundu we enter the Caprivi, and follow the B8 to Katima Mulilo.

From Katima we head South-East to the border post at Ngoma where we will enter Botswana.
We are planning to make a stopover at Vic Falls, and will attempt to travel through the Chobe National Park to Kasane and from there to Vic falls.

From Vic falls we head South to Pandamatenga, and then on to Nata on the A33.

From Nata we start our trip out of Botswana on the A3 through Francistown, and then take the A1 to Palapye on to Gabarone and then to Lobatse.

From Lobatse we exit Botswana and make a final stop over in Zeerust before we both head home (me to Durban and my mate to Capetown).

Some questions I have:
1. Anyone have local knowledge of the road conditions that we may encounter?
2. The rubber… We are planning to each take one spare tyre with us. One of us a front and one of us a rear. Would this be sufficient? If not, where would be the best spot on this route to seek spares?
3. The route (from what I can tell) is probably 80% tar and 20% gravel. I am fitting Mitas E10’s front and rear. Is that OK?
4. If anyone has done a trip via this route, would we encounter problems with the availability of fuel?
5. We are not booking accommodation ahead of schedule. Will we be OK during this time of the year to just arrive at a noted campsite and pitch tents? How about camping in non-demarcated areas on our route?
If there are any other relevant facts that you feel we should consider on this route, please feel free to comment.

JP

Latest posts