Namibia in May - we will be back!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moondog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Namibia is a place that I have always wanted to visit – so when I got the email from my second-cousin-thrice-removed-and-twice-put-together-again Matthew, I jumped at the chance to join friends and seldom-seen family for a week trip from Cape Town through the Southern part of Namibia. We spent two months bouncing emails back and forth with planning and arrangements for the trip. Initially we were going to ship the bikes to CT, catch a plane, and ride with the rest of the crowd from there – but we decided that as hardcore bikers, we would ride to CT a day early – the train time arrangements were just not fitting in with our plans.

So Matthew and I hit the long road at 3AM ….
dscf8207.jpg

…and pulled in to Cape Town in peak hour traffic – 1400kms later we met up with the rest of the crowd.
The next day the bikes visited Auto Atlantic for service (my 40 000km service was perfectly timed), new front knobblies and some new brake shoes.

That evening we did bike preparations, last minute alterations and packing …. In some cases this generated a few laughs with a mountain of kit on the bike packed in the least professional of ways.
dscf8210x.jpg
dscf8212h.jpg
dscf8214f.jpg
dscf8215.jpg

In the end, all was securely and neatly loaded and we were on the road. These taken at Bains Kloof – A first for us Gauteng boys  - what a gorgeous area- even in the mist – luckily the rain was ahead of us, but the roads were fun – especially on fresh knobblies.
dscf8225x.jpg
dscf8226.jpg
dscf8228t.jpg

Overnight at a farmhouse turned B&B at Vanrhynsdorp. Drinks and pizza at the local pub, early evening and brekkie before back on the road on Saturday. This is an OLD coffee maker at the B&B.
dscf8229.jpg

The Sendelingsdrif border over the Orange river - this must be SA's most beautiful border.
dscf8236.jpg

Some stunning dirt roads up to Ai Ais - this country was made for touring by bike - Route 66 se Moses!
dscf8242c.jpg
dscf8246.jpg

Ai Ais camp site. Met fellow Wilddog 'Mother' and his companions at the site next to ours. We had a good meal, coffee fresh off the gas burner, then settled in to the hot spring bathes – loved it!
dscf8251h.jpg

Into Fish River Canyon country - we must have crossed about a thousand of these cattle gates.
dscf8256.jpg

This is just gorgeous bike touring countryside – and May is the time to do it!
dscf8254.jpg
dscf8260.jpg
dscf8263.jpg
dscf8264.jpg

The Canon roadhouse - This is a 'Must Stop' Once a big motor workshop - turned into a most interesting eatery! A word of warning – don’t be opening Pandora’s Box!!
dscf8275r.jpg

Matthew testing out a steed more suited to his leg length :D
dscf8279.jpg

Johnny’s wife is Italian!
dscf8281h.jpg

Love the décor in this place!
dscf8282y.jpg
dscf8285f.jpg
dscf8289p.jpg

dscf8291r.jpg

They don't make advertisements like this anymore!
dscf8293.jpg
dscf8294.jpg

The Fish River Canyon - from the lookout point and surrounds.
dscf8297.jpg
dscf8301.jpg
dscf8303e.jpg
dscf8304z.jpg
dscf8307s.jpg

Back on the Namib roads …..
dscf8308.jpg
dscf8310v.jpg

The day was longer than expected - 350k of dirt in a day takes it out of you. We only made it into Luderitz after dark - it got cold with thick mist.
dscf8319f.jpg

Overnight in Luderitz, then next day off. Took a ride to a little diamond mining ghost town - deserted to the elements - Kolmanskop, just outside Luderitz.
dscf8362n.jpg

The 'Direktors' house is the double story. The back of the one on the left was completely 'eaten' by the desert.
dscf8341x.jpg

Karl - in his element. It is amazing to see the tricks used to get diamonds out - crossbow, homing pigeons, and then in every cavity you care to imagine (or not).
dscf8334m.jpg

Shocking! Matthew couldn’t resist this pic – he is always putting his fingers in places they shouldn’t be :D
dscf8364.jpg

The town had lots of money in its day - electricity everywhere, water reservoir, entertainment.  Even a bowling alley.
dscf8366a.jpg
dscf8368.jpg
dscf8371.jpg
dscf8375.jpg
dscf8381j.jpg
dscf8382w.jpg

dscf8384j.jpg
dscf8389.jpg

Time to move on - Diaz point for stong coffee. Diaz erected this cross (replica) here in 1488 having rounded the Cape -  Lots of Cape Fur seals on the rock just offshore. No clubs in this area though.
dscf8399.jpg
dscf8411w.jpg

The road to Diaz Cross held some challenges - thick sand, water crossings .....
dscf8412b.jpg

After a photo stop, Karl took a shortcut - turned out not to be a firm sandy bed - rather snotty pan mud :D – eventually he was pulled out after much needling and laughing.
dscf8421.jpg
dscf8425.jpg

The camping area at Shark Island - the view makes up for the hard ground and the howling wind.
dscf8426k.jpg

The Desert landscape - transformed by the big rains - which we fortunately just missed.  
After the heavy rains, the roads were sort-of OK - mostly hardpack, but with quite a lot of soft sandy sections, loose gravel, washouts, marbles and water / mud crossings – ready to catch you out. Many needed grading and we found a number of graders along the way.
dscf8436w.jpg
dscf8440o.jpg

At Betha we stopped to refuel - both man and machine.
dscf8441y.jpg
dscf8444.jpg

This is supposed to be desert landscape - gorgeous riding country.
dscf8445.jpg

Leaving Betha, one of the party headed off ahead - in the wrong direction and a road not recomended. End result was two bikes down in a thick hidden sand section - one on the trailer, the other patched up, and Johnny in the backup vehicle with a bang to the head and damaged ribs. On a trip like this, stick to the agreed protocol, and stick together.
dscf8450r.jpg

Sunrise at Betesda campsite after a good braai and drinks the prevoius evening - after a I performed repairs to one of the downed bikes.
dscf8464u.jpg

Betesda is 38km from Sesriem - en route to Sossusvlei.
dscf8469s.jpg

We had to leave our bikes at the lodge - apparently some guys on bikes or quads had ripped up the place - now no bikes are evel allowed on the 60km tar road into Sossusvlei!
dscf8474c.jpg
dscf8478r.jpg
dscf8481u.jpg

The vlei was full – thanks to the rains – a once in a lifetime experience- I loved this part of the trip.
dscf8488.jpg

dscf8497.jpg
dscf8500j.jpg
dscf8505.jpg

The famous apple pie at Solitaire - thanks for the tip, Adventurer!
dscf8514.jpg

Wilddog spoor at Solitaire.
dscf8516t.jpg

Long day on the road - here we are going into Kuiseb pass.
dscf8517m.jpg
dscf8521o.jpg

These ugly big buggers were all over the parts of Namibia that we saw. More so in the Namib - Naukluft Park.
dscf8532j.jpg
dscf8531q.jpg

Coming out of the hilly section- taking the rise and we were presented with this awesome view!
dscf8533u.jpg

Sun going down - 100km or so to go through the desert roads.
dscf8540s.jpg

A few kms down the road we found a European tourist couple sitting on the side of the road - she had an injured finger and was clearly in shock - he seemed fine. Very lucky to have got off so lightly after rolling their little hired 4x4 on a sandy straight section of road 80kms into the desert with the sun setting - probably caught out by the sun in their eyes and loose gravel on the road. The backup van gave them a lift toward Walvis until they could be handed over to an ambulance well after sunset.
dscf8542u.jpg

Sunset - then 60km of pitch black through the Namib - fortunately the roads were in great condition for this stretch - and I love my HID lights!
dscf8543.jpg

After arriving well after dark, everyone 'camped' in the two chalets that were booked in Swakop
dscf8548.jpg

The next day was a day off - breakfast, a walk through the town, some exploring, bike maintenance then later sundowners at this pub on the beach - good day!
dscf8559.jpg

Namib Primary kids don't know how well they have it - look at the size of their sandpit!
dscf8572.jpg

We even found tar on the main road - love the old buildings.
dscf8575c.jpg

Dune 7 - Matthew and I took a ride here - doesn't look to big from the bottom - until you try to climb it - it is huge - took us the better part of half an hour to climb it, then a 30 second sandstorm to charge down.
dscf8601.jpg

The last evening in Mariental. Good braai, a few drinks and great company. Even the local canine joined in - although I will admit that the photo was a setup - he is an officer and a gentlehound.
dscf8608.jpg

She worked hard, handled like a dream in the rough stuff, was reliable and performed like a honey. Now she's ready and loaded for the last trek out of Namibia.
dscf8615.jpg

Last fuel stop still in Namibia - just before the border post.
dscf8617.jpg
dscf8616.jpg

Last night on the road - some well deserved luxury at Browns Manor in Uppington.
dscf8619f.jpg
dscf8618w.jpg

The sun sets on an awesome trip with the most excellent riding buddies - 5050km under the belt! I can’t wait for the next one!
dscf8625g.jpg