Napier "Patatfees" 21 June 2008

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy Horse

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Just a quick report on the Dual ride organised for the Patatfees. 

Me and the better half left Malmesbury on Friday night for Napier.  Wanted to go through on the bike but ran out of time with heavy rains and the night upon us...

After dropping our stuff on my friends farm, 5km out of town, we went to the school hall to have a couple of beers.  We were just in time for the crowning of "Mej Napier" and enjoyed beer from the most southern brewery in Africa, "Napier Bier".  The beer was very nice but went to bed early to be ready for the ride the next day.

We got the bikes ready while it was still dark and waited in front of the church for all the other riders. 

tn_NapierPatatfees014.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees013.jpg

A very nice route was planned by Barend and he took the lead and made sure everybody stayed together.  We even had a guy riding ahead with a bakkie to take photos and videos and a police bakkie driving in the back just in case....

tn_NapierPatatfees020.jpg

Beautiful sunrise just before we hit the road

tn_NapierPatatfees026.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees028.jpg

Unfortunately I can't tell you what exact route we took as I don't know the area that well, but sure Barend (don't know his forum name) can help us with that.

Just some photos of the ride

tn_NapierPatatfees042.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees044.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees063.jpg

After some nice gravel roads with some muddy patches here and there, we took a more difficult detour.  Everybody was keen to do it and definitely one of the nicest tracks I've done

tn_NapierPatatfees070.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees072.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees076.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees088.jpg

The day had a couple of falls, or rather fall overs and Barend made sure he gave us the best one

tn_NapierPatatfees091.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees094.jpg

Weather perfect for riding

tn_NapierPatatfees098.jpg

We decided to go up this hill which claimed another two fall overs

tn_NapierPatatfees101.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees103.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees110.jpg

Going through Elim

tn_NapierPatatfees122.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees126.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees131.jpg

And back in Napier for lunch at the

tn_NapierPatatfees136.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees134.jpg

tn_NapierPatatfees139.jpg

Thanks again to everybody organising this trip.  In total we were 11 bikes, only 2 wild dogs unfortunately and done about 200 km.  Apparently this is the start of an annual ride at the Patatfees and the planning already starting for next year from my side.  Hopefully some more Wild Dogs there next year, worth it!!!