Need Help with a Mechanical Mystery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bull Grackle

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
OK all you mechanical sleuths: Listen Up! I need some creative thinking backed up with expert advice. My 2007 1200GS had about 40K on the odometer and needed a service which included checking and most likely adjusting the valves. Note #1. I put 120k on my previous R1100RS and did all the routine maintenance myself so I know how to set the valves and the rocker arm end float if necessary. I took the left valve cover off and noticed a 15mm nut rattling around in the bottom of it. Hmmmmmm. As is turns out the lower right head stud (one of the four that holds the cylinder, head and valve train onto the engine block was missing its nut and washer. Puzzling, no? So I attempted to replace the nut and a substitute washer and guess what, the stud wouldn't tighten up. In fact with little more than finger pressure the stud came out of the block with aluminum threads from the block in the grooves of the stud. So I conclude that someone overtorqued the stud during a routine service, but who? Not me, this was my first time into the engine. Not the folks who changed the oil and plugs at 30K, they did not touch the valves. The dealership who did the 20K service pulled the shop card and there was no mention of re-torquing the head bolts or adjusting the rocker arm end float. So unless they are lying yard dogs, they are off the hook. So back to the dealer that sold the bike to the previous owner and who performed both the initial and the 10K service. Note #2: I have always been told that the head studs are re-torqued at the first service only and never again unless the head or cylinder comes off. Same for the rocker arm end float. In my experience the first adjustment usually lasts for years. Especially since the tolerance is so wide. My conclusion in the absence of any better explanation is that the stud was over torqued at the first service or, God Forbid (!), at the factory. Of course the dealer who performed the first two services disavowed all knowledge of how such a thing could have happened and in any event they can't be held responsible, etc. Now for the mystery: how did the nut come off the stud between 20 and 40K kms? Where did the washer go? Why didn't the stud eventually work its way out as well? An enquiring mind wants to know.