Need some knowledge on BMWs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGo

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
My dad is in the construction industry in JHB and is looking for a bike. Reasons for bike - petrol consumption and ease of commute. I have convinced him that DuelSport is the way as he needs to use it on construction sites. They also own a smallholding in the Midlands which would mean some gravel travel - nothing hectic, but still.

His mind is fairly fixed on BMWs (for various reasons) so now the big question is, should one be on the lookout for a 2nd hand Dakar and be happy with the problems others had/created with it, or would the new 650 do the job? I have not seen much about the new 650 on this site (maybe I havnt looked hard enough) and thus have no idea of its offroad capabilities. I had a look at

https://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-for-Sale-scooters-motorcycles-motorbikes-BMW-650GS-DAKAR-W0QQAdIdZ64368649

but it seems a bit pricy considering the lack of extras (at least compared to some other Dakars I have seen sold on the forum). Opinions on the price?

Thanks in advance!