nelf13's Honda XR 400 Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelf13

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Hi Guys

After long thoughts of possible future bikes that I want to buy and currently own I came up with the following idea.

First idea was to change the XR 400 into a super motard and use it for commuting to work and back and then buy a XR650 for longer gravel rides. -  That idea was pushed out the window with the next idea...

What I have decided on was instead of wasting a lot of money on the XR 400 to travel 5km to work and 5km back each day, to rather buy an older XR 200 and change it into a commuter for my purpose.  (anyone know of one in with papers at a decent price, please let me know)

That leaves me with the XR 400 that a bought two months ago....

I'm going to transform my 2000 Honda XR 400 into a lightweight gravel travel machine for my enjoyment.  I thought about this long and hard, and to travel gravel and do more technical routes I do not need a XR 650 for that.  My little piggy sits happy at 100 - 110km/h and you do not need more on gravel roads, and most tar roads in SA for that matter :imaposer:

When the bike arrived here in the EC, it did not want to start.  After a good service we got it running, but not yet 100%.
My first priority is to get her ready to put through testing and on my name, hopefully in the next week this will be sorted.  For now I only need to fit another mirror (have an old one) and rewire the rear light and indicators.

I want this project to be completed by December (will depend on parts availability) if possible, if not finished by December I will still enjoy her during the holidays, but December will be my aiming point.

Whats on my list
-  Complete full service
-  Acerbis XR650L tank made to fit (in red, because red is the fast one :peepwall:)
-  New exhaust tail Piece
-  New handlebars
-  New levers and cables (want to fit a CRF450 levers with small decompression lever on top)
-  New grips
-  New hand guards
-  New plastic fenders front and rear (The guy had a massive fall and damaged both)
-  New indicators needs to be fitted (sponsored by Jaya3 :thumleft:, thanks buddy)
-  Higher screen fitted
-  New Tyres and tuff tubes
-  New chain and sprockets
-  New luggage rack
-  Fork Savers/shock boots
-  Spot lights
-  and a few other smaller pieces that I will think out a long the way :imaposer:

This is what I have to start with, so lets see were this is going... :ricky: