New Member Intro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootCamp

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hello Wild Dogs!

I have been following the forum for a little while now and thought it is time for an introduction.

I recently acquired my F650GS Dakar, just under a year ago and have slowly been upgrading and getting ready for adventure!
Bought my Dakkie in a private sale and thought I was getting a good deal only to discover some latent defects, bent forks, bent triple clamps and worn out front hub...some left over accident damage from a previous owner.

Quickly found Acme Salvage quite handy for second hand spares, salvaged a decent front hub and found a mechanic that could straighten the forks and triple clamp and re-lace the rim on the new hub...or so I thought...

2 Months down the line and a ton of frustration and a few screaming matches I got my bike back from said repairs and only after paying 6k upfront as well...Bottom line, the lacing wasn't right since the rim was not cantered, triple clamps still bent...forks a little better I think...Felt totally ripped off...The workmanship was the shittiest I have ever seen.

This was going to be a huge learning curve. Decided to stick with doing things myself where possible and where too technical I would rather rely on the Dealers or my new favourite place, Cytech...Always great service and quality!

Now, a few months down the line and lots of lessons learned I am finally in a place where I can start kitting the bike for adventure! Added some wide pegs and a centre stand already, and will soon be adding Renthal bars, Barkbusters, crashbars and luggage.

Most of my riding has been commuting but have had a few day rides on gravel/dirt roads around the outskirts of the city. The next adventure will be Lesotho near the end of September and then into Africa with some mates also riding Dakkies.

Whoaaa!!

Attachments

• IMG-20141207-WA0000_resized.jpg
    IMG-20141207-WA0000_resized.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 51