This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man On Fire!

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi all,

This forum is quite intimidating with most of you having such vast amounts of experience and mileage under your belt.  ;)
I have always had an interest in motorcycles and i am a keen mountain biker. just did not have the right support...now the wife is actually encouraging me. as you can see from my user name that i am a chef and i am interested in upgrading my off road riding to the motorised version - and particularly interested in the F 800 GS. i have completed my course at the BMW Rider Academy at Zwartkops and have been bumming rides all over.
suffice to say i am hooked and looking at getting my own by the end of June...kit and the whole package. does not have to be BMW kit. I really like the Richa kit from Wild at heart.
i i would also use the bike to commute as i am fed-up with traffic in JHB.
i am stoked that i have such a great resource as you guys to call on before i take the plunge. so i have a few quetsions:

is it worth buying a code 3 bike?
what would be the best advise when buying a used bike from private persons on Gumtree or Junkmail, Autotrader???? i find the JHB prices are slightly higher than other places...there are some good deals in Bloem.
and lastly what is the deal with the 2008 2009 f800gs models, there are some saying there were problems with these.
otherthan that i have the triple black in sight.
i look forwrad to reading more posts and participating in some banter!