This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug C

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Greetings.

My first motorcycle was a second-hand Yamaha CT3 175, purchased in 1975 just prior to my 16th birthday. After a few months, the CT3 was traded in for a new Yamaha DT 125. At the time I lived in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), where one could obtain one's learner's and driver's licences at the age of 16. At the beginning of 1977 I relocated to South Africa but, unfortunately, I was unable to bring my DT. I did not own a bike again until January 2011! I now have a 2010 Kawasaki KLR 650, which is a delight.

This year, I have completed the Country Trax 1-day Introduction to off-road riding course (at the Nelson's Creek Wine Estate, not far from Wellington and Paarl) and the Country Trax 3-day Weekend off-road course (at Amersfoort, Mpumalanga). For the latter, I rode to Gauteng on my KLR to join my Pretoria friends. The long-distance ride was a great experience (though the return trip was bitterly cold and into a strong headwind).

Very much the novice, I endeavour to take every opportunity to appreciate the variety of terrain and magnificent scenery of the Western Cape. Since January, I've clocked just under 20,000 km - yet, it seems I've spent hardly any time on the bike! So it is when having fun. Adventure riding ... what a remarkable recreational activity!