• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Newbee needs a bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
My name is Jakes
For quite a while I am looking to get into the adventure motorcycling thing.
It has really been a while since I was on the back of a bike ( mainly off roads and later on quads)  Never anything serious.
One friday afternoon a friend requested that we go watch the roof of africa. Not having a passport I, I thought it would not happen and that there would be no way of getting one in 2 hours' time. Well Johan convinced me to try. Needless to say, a client of mine worked there and 35 mins later I walked out with that passport.
Went to Lesotho and I could not even take photos, so mesmerized I was. Afterwards, I cannot stop thinking about that scenery. So I spoke to guys I know does these adventure trips etc. Then got told about WD and kept an eye on the ads. Almost got a 1150 from a fellow w/dogger , but I was 3rd in line...... 
I like the idea of a Beemer. I am 2m tall. Weight: 120  ithink.   
I can get a 1100GS, but I am told by the guys who know, that there are some minor issues, and for my weight it will bottom out too soon.
I read alot about the bullet proof 1150's  My brother insists that I buy a 1200 but my funds definitely does not allow for this at the moment.

My question then..... Is a budget of 40k for the bike too little or should I keep looking. Km's does not bother me that much, as long as I know its been properly maintained.  I would like to get one thats tour ready or close to as possible.

Advise and a bike would be appreciated.

Thanks
Xtremejakes