Notes on chosing a 650 D/S bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiLRoy

You said it, man. Nobody fucks with the Jesus!
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
This comes from judjonzz from klr650.net. Just some food for thought:

"I have one of each (the DR is the second I have owned). You are not tall, which takes away one reason to prefer the KLR. Another is if you want to tour with a lot of luggage, including camping gear, because the KLR is roomier. However, I have loaded up a DR with tent, sleeping bag, Kermit chair, clothing changes and riding gear for a change in the weather, and been perfectly comfy for a weekend rally. You are going to have to spend some money on either one. The DR will need a Corbin and a big tank. On the KLR you may well want to replace the seat, too, and add some protection for the rediator. If you want the KLR to have brakes to equal the DR, you will have to pay for them, ditto suspension.

Don't worry about the DR on the highway, either. I have seen guys run them from Utah to Illinois in comfort; I took mine on a 2000 mile Copper Canyon trip in March.

If you can buy a new DR cheaper than a new KLR, do it. The $500 you save will about cover a new tank and seat. (If you could get the KLR cheaper, I'd probably push you that way).

The KLR has a devoted following, but the DR650 list has at least one member who was very active on the KLR lists. I'm guessing he won't be back. Otoh, I have a buddy in South Dakota who had a nicely tricked out DR that he raved about. Now he has a KLR instead, and you can't get him off it."

"Another thing, the KLR is liquid cooled and the DR is oil cooled. Don't really know the difference other than it was explained that the liquid cooled is better in stop and go traffic."

"Sieman has always said the XL650R is a pig. Paul Streeter thought he could kill two birds with one stone and use the big Honda to commute and trail ride. He couldn't abide the Honda as a street bike, so he still has a KLRs (or 2) and the XR400. Chad (Rokklym) on Advrider had one but just got a DRZ, has the Honda for sale. Rob Himmelman has one, and likes it, but not as well as his ATK or DR650. He has a KLR now, too."

"The KLR is not often compared with the XR650L because the Honda is more at the dirt bike end of the spectrum (compared tp other 650 singles) while the KLR is at the streetworthy. Because the XT is not sold in the states, we never see owners or magazines comparing the KLR and the XT. The closest comparison is with the Suzuki DR650. Search the archives here for plenty of discussion of that matchup."

"Earlier this summer I had both-the klr and the dr650. As I rode the dr650 more and more I was having alot of fun with it.It was so easy to whip around. I kept studying it and what kept going through my head was that I wish a guy could combine the two. They did some things nicer on the DR650 then they did on the KLR650. But, then I would take the KLR for a ride and it actually made me appreciate the KLR more than I did before. Turned out that the suzuki, while fun and easy to handle, was simply a minibike compared to the Kawi. I don't get to go out in the dirt as often as I would like to. The KLR wins-hands down. But anyone can enjoy either bike. good luck. This is just my honest opinion- it doesn't make it right."

"What I am seeing around here, is that riders of all experience levels and from all facets of motorcycling are turning to dual sport bikes, and the top two choices are the DR650 and the KLR. It may be different where you come from.

Old BMW riders tend to look first to the KLR. They find the F650 too expensive and insufficiently dirt-worthy.

Old Harley riders seem to go with the KLR. I dunno why. When I encounter Harley riders, they seem to react more favorably to the KLR. I really have no clue what makes them tick.

Newbs seem to gravitate to the KLR, perhaps because of the cult-like following, and the ready availibility of advice and tech assistance.

Old enduro riders and trail riders like the DR650, sometimes as their first street bike. It feels more like a dirt bike, but is still streetable enough to ride across the country.

Big and tall riders find the KLR more roomy. If I carry a tent and camping gear, I will probably prefer the KLR. For a trip to Copper Canyon where we packed very light and stayed in hotels, the DR worked better for me.

Guys who are not too old and who are pretty good dirt riders can make either bike work for them.

The water-cooled KLR will probably tend to last longer than the DR. There are high-mileage DRs around, too, but my sense is: not as many. My own DR needs valve guide seals at 21K, while my KLR does not smoke visibly at 36K (although it will use oil if run at high speeds). I bought both bikes used.

I am an intermediate dirt rider. I will ride my DR in places where I hesitate to take the KLR. Both are set up for off-road use, with knobby tires and crash protection. Still, a good rider on a KLR will easily roost by me. In general, though, the more you ride off-road, the more you will probably prefer the DR.

For most DS use, the DR REALLY needs a better seat and a bigger tank. The KLR could use a better seat, but not as desperately as the DR. It doesn't really need a bigger tank, but a big tank is the cheapest way to get necessary radiator protection.

The DR starts life with better brakes and suspension. I found suspension upgrades essential on the KLR. Many riders (but not I) will also want to improve the front brake.

Even with all their differences, the DR and KLR have a great deal of overlap in function. With appropriate modifications, you can set either bike up to favor just about any kind of use. The DR seems a little more refined and better-made to me. Over on the DR lists, they are convinced their bike is better, but for most riders, it is hard to go too far wrong with either one."

"Not that I'm one who cares what others think, but the following is pretty true..

1. KLR owners laugh at F650's because they cost so much and get so little for the extra money.
2. BMW owners laugh at F650's because they're not BMW's..

When I was kicking around a midsize bike, I thought about a used F650, but they're not retaining value (nor is the KLR) and there's been issues with surging with the FI bikes. I couldn't justify spending more money for a used F650 than a new KLR..

As luck would have it, I found an almost new KLR for $3200, and was able to keep my BMW R1100R also.. Somehow that bike turned into a 1000 V-Strom, but that's a different story..

The F650 is a nice bike, but is it worth that much more than a KLR?? Only you and your wallet can decide that.."

"In a way, the F650 is the bike that brought me to dualsporting and the KLR. In the 90's, a lot of my local BMW clubbies were getting F650's. As an old, old airhead rider, the single seemed like a nice change of pace. (I have a lot of thumpers in my background.) Being a little short of funds, I came across a beater DR650, which was to become my "$500 answer to the Funduro". Even though I had to rebuild the top end twice in not many miles, I found it a lot of fun to ride. I came across this list and caught a severe case of KLR fever. I was actually ready to buy a nother DR if a deal came along, but a dealer in Wisconsin Rapids offered me a '98 KLR for about a grand less than private parties were asking for theirs.

I have since added another DR650 and an LC4 Adventure. If you want to spend BMW money on a dualsport bike, get the KTM. Otherwise the choice is between the KLR and the DR.

If it will help you decide, consider that old BMW riders tend toward the KLR when they pick a DS bike, not the F650. Old enduro riders generally favor the DR650."

"I had both, actually my wife had the F650GS. She loved it, but only as a road bike. It has more power, better brakes, ABS that you can turn off, is more stable at speeds, fit and finish is better, and you get about 55 to 60 mpg vs 45 to 50 on the KLR. So, if you plan on doing a lot of highway, and 95% paved roads, then the BMW is the better bike. BUT, if you are like me, and like to take the bike offroad, then the KLR is the better choice, it is lighter, cheaper to maintain, easier to work on, cheaper to fix (do you know what BMW parts cost???).

I'd choose the KLR again, and if money would be no option, then I might consider the KLR LC4 Adventure. If you're looking for a 95% road bike, then there is the V-Strom, ugly, I know, but much cheaper then the F650GS."

"When not one but 2 BMW mechanics recommend the KLR 650...

Nuff said.

Picking mine up in a couple of hours!"