Nuwerust and Karoo Padstal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stofperd

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
We have not been to the Cederberg for a while and since Occy wanted to watch the Bokkies vs. Ireland we decided that Nuwerust was the overnight destination of choice. We left Saturday lunch time and did the Citrusdal - Op die berg - route, mostly to do Middelpas. The n7 to Cirtusdal was quite boring, but after a fuel stop in Citrusdal we hit the gravel and things started getting better. The road is in very good condition, and the scenery and smells of the fynbos even better.

We had a water break at the top of the pass and reduced some tyre pressure.
nr1_zps859bf209.jpg

We were warmly welcomed at Nuwerust by Steve and Louise, and pitched our tents under the trees.
nr3_zps798a6ba7.jpg

We retired to the lapa for a cold one, watched some rugby and enjoyed the piece and quiet. The surrounding mountains change in colour with the fading light: spectacular!
nr2_zps048813fd.jpg

We had a braai after the rugby and I had a good nights sleep on the matress and pillow supplied by Steve. After breakies and coffee the next morning we went via Katbakkies pas to the R355.
Somewhere on the tarred section of the pass
nr4_zpsa1f24552.jpg

We turned left on the R355 to visit the Karoo Padstal. It's a sad sight, but rising out of the ashes is something bigger and better. This will be the new pub
nr5_zpsdbed1233.jpg

It is far from completion, a lot of work needs to get done: roof structure, roof sheets and then the fitting out. The restaurant- and shop area is just a floorslab with some walls at this stage.
nr6_zps284b0c00.jpg

But... you can get drinks, cold ones, the shop is up and running and with continued support from all the WD's I am sure they will get there.

Anyway, as far as this RR goes, we had a lekker ride back home, 70 km down the R355 to the Karoo Poort, fuel at Ceres and to Cape Town via Bains Kloof. A short weekend away, but every minute and every kilometre worth the effort.  To my riding partners: thanks for the good company and once again a first class stay at Nuwerust.